cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Publisher/Subscriber role reversal

tboynton
Level 1
Level 1

Can a publisher be switched to a subscriber and vice versa. The reason I ask is because I have a new server that is going to take the place of the older CallManager server. The old callmanager server is going to be the backup.

4 Replies 4

dgoodwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would highly recommend against you attempting anything like that.

The right way to do this would be to run an MCS Backup against the current publisher.

Then take the current publisher offline, and build the new publisher from scratch using the same computer name and IP address. Then upgrade it to the exact same version that was used on the old publisher to run the backup. Then do an MCS Restore onto the new publisher. Your devices should now work correctly with the new publisher.

Then, you can install the old server from scratch using the CDs, and install it as a subscriber.

That's what a figured and was planning to do but I thought I'd ask.

Hi Dave,

This is an interesting learning curve. Could you please explain to me how to create the MCS Backup as well as the MCS restore ? Thanks a million.

Duc Vu

Those utilities are in the start menu. If you don't see them there, then you chose Backup Target at the end of the CallManager install, you would need to choose Backup Server. Typically you would only do this on one server per cluster, many times it is the publisher.