Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

QOS : Queuing to be done at the Edge or Distribution Layer?

Hi folks,

I have a setup which involves Avaya ip phones on Cisco infrastructure. The Cisco equipments are the catalyst 3550 (edge) and the 6500 (Distri & Core).

I'm pretty much a QOS newbie, and I've browsed through the LAN QOS and QOS best practices documentation, and I will like to know which part of the infrastructure should I apply Queuing to ? From the documentation, its either at the Edge/Distri or both. On either, is it better than the other?

appreciate any feedbacks. Thank you!

regards,

seanwy.

4 REPLIES
Super Bronze

Re: QOS : Queuing to be done at the Edge or Distribution Layer?

Hi

You would perform classification at the Edge, or perhaps use a trust-dscp model.

Queueing would be performed at any point where bandwidth may be contended - so this will probably include the edge, distribution, and core.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi Aaron,

Thank you for yr reply. It seems if I were to apply Queuing all all 3 layers, I believe the configuration will be pretty complex.

Just a side note, the Avaya IP phones are able to propagate both CoS & DSCP values. Thus, should I trust-dscp or trust-cos on the access (Edge) switch ?

much thanks!

regards,

Sean.

Blue

if your devices send DSCP & CoS, trust is OK.

be sure to verify your QoS at the access & distribution layers at least.

if your core is sufficient, you may have no real need to worry there.

Bronze

with my avaya ip phones i trust COS..

Example

interface FastEthernet0/5

Description to IP phone and PC

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 10

switchport voice vlan 11

no ip address

spanning-tree portfast

mls qos trust cos

Also, for security reasons have the avaya ip phone re-write the "PC's dataport" (phones 2nd ethernet port connected to pc) to COS of 0

It's done by adding PHY2PRIO=0 in option 176 string or in 46xxsrttings script file via SET PHY2PRIO=0

Views
Helpful
Replies