Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about TFTP on CCM

Hi. I am new to CCM and have a question about TFTP and phone loads.

To make a long story short, I am configuring a new CCM (4.1.3) to match the configuration on an existing CCM (4.1.3). Users will be migrated from the old server to the new server.

I have already created all the system parameters such as route plans, etc, and am getting ready to BAT in the extensions from the existing server to the new server.

1. Will I need to consider existing TFTP files? For example, do the old TFTP files that are associated with specific phones have any info that is required if I want the phones to be exactly the same as they were after being switched to the new server, for example, ring settings, etc? Can the TFTP files be moved from one server to another if needed?

2. I noticed that when I go to “System->Device Defaults” the new and old servers have different “load information”. Am I correct in assuming that this means that the new and old Call Managers have different phone firmware loaded? Could this be a problem when I migrate the users and should I make the “Load information” the same on both servers? If I should change it, how do I do it?

3. Is there anything else I should know about TFTP, other than the service should be started on CCM and that it should be configured in the DHCP scope?

4 REPLIES

Re: Question about TFTP on CCM

I'll give this a shot:

1. The existing TFTP files are going to be somewhat relevant if you are trying to 'recreate' their existing environment. However, the TFTP files are not going to contain user defined ring settings, speedial information, etc. etc. So you are going to lose those settings as part of rebuilding the server. If you are truly trying to match the configuration of the existing CallManager, then I would highly recommend using the BARS utility that is supported and supplied by Cisco.

Link here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00805e6478.html#wp60706

2. I wouldn't worry about the Device loads too much, unless they are more current than the new 4.1.3 install. That might indicate that the previous system admin installed custom loads to resolve issues. If the version of the load on the phone is different than the current version it will simply re-tftp the file that is currently configured on the new system. If want to keep the loads the same, then yes, you can copy the .bin files from the existing server and move them to the TFTPPath of the new server and then change the Device Defaults to reflect the new load file name.

3. Off the top of my head TFTP Files are responsible for:

Device firmware loads

Custom Ring .WAVs

Custom Music on Hold

Custom or Alternate Network Locales

Custom Backgrounds for 7970's

Custom IPCommunicator Directory Settings

I would change the TFTP option for a couple of phones and a backup gateway (if possible) to test on the new system before flash cutting everyone over.

I am sure there is some additional information that other individuals can provide, but I hope this is a good start.

Thanks for the response. I was a little confused though when you said:

“...TFTP files are not going to contain user defined ring settings, speedial information, etc. etc. So you are going to lose those settings as part of rebuilding the server”.

If the TFTP files do not include user settings, why would I loose those settings as part of the rebuild?

Why don't you use standard backup/restore utilities ?

I was trying to stay away from BARS because, even though the CCM config will be the same, the hardware type, server name, IP address and workgroup name will be different. Someone told me that I could run into problems, especially with the server name being different.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content