Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Question on Media Flow around vs Media Flow through

Imagine I have a multisite environment, (1) Data Center-Hub and (1) remote site at the moment.

Cisco CUBE is deployed at Data Center and CUCM 8.5 with Cisco Unity Conn 8.5. There are no users or DIDs in the data center. Only network equipment there.

The remote site is connected to MPLS network with Cisco 2911 as MPLS CE router.

All 100 Cisco IP phones 7962G are at the remote office.

The service provider has deployed SIP trunking in the data center. SIP trunking provider tells me that a G.729 call consumes 34K (NxT1 circuit).

I need to calculate bandwidth needed to support up to 30 concurrent calls in the data center to support the remote office making offnet inbound and outbound calls.

I do:

34K x 30cc x 2

So QoS Expedited Forwarding for VoIP = 2.04M

Question:

You noticed I multiplied by 2 because calls would be anchored at the CUBE; that means a call would hit the WAN in the data center with "two legs" in order to have call flowing (initially via SIP then RTP). My question is, if I want to minimize the bandwidth used and avoid this multiplication by 2 when calculating the needed bandwidth in the data center to support the remotes, is "media flow around" the feature that can help me? If so, what exactly would be the configuration and points I have to consider throghout the network in order to make it work?

Views
Helpful
Replies