cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

question regarding calling-party transf. vs. translation pattern

lgontarsk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I'm studying up on the voice stuff, and am reading about calling/called party transformations vs. translation patterns.

Is the difference between them that transformations happen after the route-group has been picked and the translations happen before the routing decision has been made?

3 Replies 3

wschochet
Level 1
Level 1

Transformations are really about digit manipulation - they are more about getting hardware to communicate properly.

Translation patterns (although they do include transformations) are really about navigating partitions and calling search spaces.

Majdi Harb
Level 3
Level 3

hi

Calling party transformations settings allow you to manipulate the appearance of the calling party number for outgoing calls (CLID)

Called party transformations settings allow you to manipulate the dialed digits, or called party number, for outgoing calls.

Translation patterns manipulate dialed digits before it routes a call. In some cases, the system does not use the dialed number. In other cases, the public switched telephone network (PSTN) does not recognize the dialed number.

transf. concepts under route groups/patterns/translation patterns are confusing..

read the link below, it will clarify that a translation pattern is another thing, do not compare it to calling/called party transformations, but do compare calling/called party transformations under route group/route pattern .... vs calling/called party transformations under translation pattern.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00806b03c0.html#wp1044110

hth

please remember to rate helpful posts

/majdi

I have UCM version 8.0(2).

I'm finding that if the digits dialed by a user are processed by a translation pattern the Called Party Transformation settings have no effect:

For example I have set up a translation pattern that globalizes the digits dialed by a user into +E164 format.

eg user dials 9 1 217 123 4567 which gets translated to +1 217 123 4567

The translated number then matches a route pattern \+1XXXXXXXXXX. (This is verified by the dialed number analyzer).

The called party xform pattern is;

+1.217XXXXXXX, discard predot

Problem is that this called party xform pattern is getting ignored and the digits presented to gateway are:

+1 217 123 3567

However if I create a route pattern with a more specific match than the translation pattern, eg route pattern 91217XXXXXXX and a called party xform pattern:

91.217XXXXXXX, discard predot

the called party xform configuration has an effect; hence the digits presented to the gateway are:

217 123 3567

Hence called party transformations get ignored if the dialed digits are processed by a translation pattern

I can get around the issue by creating a Translation Pattern that strips the 91 from the digits dialed by the user; however I would prefer to use called party transformation

Has anybody come across this issue before?

I am assuming that both translation patterns and called party transformations can both work together or am I missing something?

Problem is only with Called Party Transformations, Calling Party Transformations works fine....

Thanks

Gurmakh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: