Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Question(s) about Unity 4.0.3 and Exchange 2K -> 2K3 migration path

We are currently in the process of migrating our native Exchange 2000 infrastructure, to Exchange 2003. The nicest things about such a migrataion is that now the process is as easy as building the E2K3 server, moving the mailboxes and a few services from the old E2K server and you're done.

So my question is two fold.

1. Our current Unity 4.0.3 server has the E2K admin tools on it, which are providing the MAPI connection from Unity to Exchange. Can I safely uninstall the old E2K admin tools and install the newer E2K3 admin tools without breaking Unity? I can deal with the short downtime related to when the Exchange MAPI connection is broken by removing the E2K tools. What I'm concerned about is Unity not working even once the new E2K3 admin tools are in installed.

2. If I move mailboxes from the old E2K server over to the E2K3 server, will Unity automatically refer to Active Directory to find the home Information Store of the moved mailboxes, when it a new incoming voicemail message arrives? Or will I need to reboot our Unity Server after each set of mailbox moves (I plan on doing the mailbox moves in chunks over the span of a week or so), so that it can resync itself with AD?

4 REPLIES
Gold

Re: Question(s) about Unity 4.0.3 and Exchange 2K -> 2K3 migrati

If Unity has the Exchange 2003 System Manager installed the partner Exchange must be an Exchange 2003 server too. If it is not Unity will not be able to logon/submit messages to Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2000 mailboxes.

If you move the mailbox from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003 Unity will automatically learn of the move from the GC. No reboot, etc is required.

Thanks,

Keith

Community Member

But can I safely uninstall the E2K admin tools, and install the E2K3 admin tools from a working Unity 4.0.3 server? Or would I have to rebuild the entire server from scratch?

Gold

Yes you can upgrade the tools without reinstalling the OS.

Thanks,

Keith

Community Member

Do you happen to know what the exact steps would be for installing the E2K3 tools onto a Windows 2000 based Unity 4.0.3 server (i.e. Stopping Unity, uninstalling E2K admin tools, reboots, etc.)?

The E2K3 installation docs state that the Windows 2003 Admin Tools need to be installed first, but Windows 2000 doesn't support running the Windows 2003 Admin Tools so how would I even be able to install the E2K3 System Manager in the first place if this is the case?

Views
Helpful
Replies
СоздатьДля создания публикации, пожалуйста в систему