Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Questions about VoIP

I am a student at GATech. Recently I am working on a project about VoIP and its commercial applications, especially in area of long distance (over-sea) Telephony over IP. I would really appreciate if someone can help me getting some general technical informations like how it works, what equipments are needed, who is the leading equipment supplier, its cost, etc... Any help is welcome.

you could either reply here or e-mail me at

gt3462a@prism.gatech.edu

Thx

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Questions about VoIP

I think a couple places to start would be:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/so/neso/vvda/iptl/msipt_bc.pdf

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/so/neso/vvda/iptl/cnvrg_wp.htm

As far as how it works and what products are needed to implement a solution, that's pretty vague. There are so many different ways to do it that I can't come close to an answer. And of course which way is chosen will determine how it works and what products would be required. I think a great place to start would be to purchase (or check out from a library) a general book on Voice over IP technology that explains the technology, how it works, and some examples of implementations to give you some ideas.

As far as the leading supplier... why that would be Cisco of course! ;-)

Thx David.

Recently, I have seen many companies selling calling cards at a extremly low rate. They must be using the VoIP. However, since the users of calling cards should be able to make calls to any country in the world, it is hard to imagine that they have installed a PBX in every country. How do they solve this problem?

I think you can check out this Cisco press book : Voice over IP Fundamentals by Jonathan Davidson. An excellent book for starters that should get you started with this real quick.

Thanks

Murali.

Views
Helpful
Replies