cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"temp fail" message on ip phones then all calls in progress drop...

neal.miller
Level 1
Level 1

This has happened about 10 time on our system. We are running call manager 3.2.2c with about 200 phones. We have noticed that the following occurs sporaticly. All call that are in progress seem to drop and a message displays on the ip phone: "temp fail".

Has anyone encountered this and what may cause it. I have an open tac case but they cannot seem to figure this out.

Thanks all.

12 Replies 12

rickb
Level 3
Level 3

First off, I've never seen that message. Are you running H.323 on your gateway? Also, anything interesting in the trace files from the time frame that this is happening?

Rick

ilang
Level 1
Level 1

I have seen this on a couple of my systems. Fortunately for me it is during off hours and when I am upgrading my systems. If the ohones are registered to cm1 and I stop the cm service or reboot, I get this message until it rehomes to the backup cm.

fmarotta
Level 1
Level 1

I am getting this on a 7960 intermittenly. I am running CM 3.2(2c) SP G. Phone load P00303020215. I am using VG200 running MGCP.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Frank

My MGCP gateway is unregistering every 3 minutes giving me the following error:

Error: DeviceUnregistered - Device unregistered.

Device name.: S1/DS1-0@CDC-9W57-VG200-PRI

Device IP address.: 10.93.250.23

Device type.: 121

Device description [Optional].: S1/DS1-0@CDC-9W57-VG200-PRI

Reason Code [Optional].: 9

App ID: Cisco CallManager

Cluster ID: CMCPN1-Cluster

Node ID: 10.94.250.22

Explanation: A device that has previously registered with Cisco CallManager has unregistered. This event may be issued as part of normal unregistration event or due to some other reason such as loss of keepalives.

Recommended Action: No action is required if unregistration of this device was expected..

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Frank

Reason code 9 means that CallManager initiated the reset. This could be anything from network connectivity issues between CM and the VG200 to some issue on the VG200 causing loss of network connectivity.

Please make sure that the switch ports are not taking errors and that the network between the two devices is clean.

Then monitor the VG200 for any issues, such as it reloading for some reason.

HTH

Kev

miked
Level 1
Level 1

We had the same issue at a client and we upgraded the Unity server to the latest Compaq NIC driver and it resolved the issue. We were directed to this via the TAC.

bphelps
Level 2
Level 2

Did anyone else find a solution to this? We get this message intermittently during the day.

We run on the 7750 with CCM 3.3 and Unity 4. I've installed the latest patch for CCM. We use a MFT1 card in an MRP 310 running H.323 for PSTN connectivity.....

any other ideas??

May sound like a silly question but is any one reseting the gateway or changin rout list, or patterns?

scott

No, but it sounds like temp fail has to do with gateway failure of some sort, based on all these responses.

The MRPs are notorious for failure; I've already replace the MRP in question once, but for a different reason (it wouldn't recognize the voice card)..

Tom Dillon
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, I had customers that received the "temp fail" message. Fortunately, the customer gave me good information as soon as it happened. I was able to find the call in the trace and got the time stamps when it occurred. I happened to look at the 6608 module that has the T1 gateway defined for the call that the customer received the message. I had three of the eight ports on the 6608 module down and the logging buffer on the Catalyst 6509 had an entry that matched the call time stamp that indicated the module failed and re-started.

I replaced the module and we have not had repeats of the problem. So, for us it was the 6608 module failing and the subsequent restart of the module that dropped all the calls.

We had intermittent 'Temp Fail' and I saw CRC errors on the Call Manager ports on our switch. We hard-coded the NIC to 100MB/Full Duplex and the switch to 100MB/Full Duplex and the problems cleared.

I had a similar experience as well whereby i had to change the NIC/switch to 100/full duplex.

Another scenario the "Temp Fail" occurs is when the "H.323 FastStart" under the service parameters is enabled whilst using h.323 registered gateways. By default is disabled.

sean.