Views
Helpful
Replies

"Too Late" Documentation

d.chulhan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Pros,

I KNOW all of you have been in this situation and I need your advice.

You arrive at a site and nothing is documented. So several questions:

* Do you offer it up as a separate project to document the VOIP system or

* Do you just gather up the data that you can from where you can and just do what you need to?

At any rate, what would be your proposed method / template for producing 'complete' documentation for a pure (existing) Cisco Unified Communications environment?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

a.gooding
Level 5
Level 5

Hey there

normally id do the following

1. pull the dial plan from the CCM and other equipment if required

2. collect the configs from the routers and switches, produce a series of diagrams. One high level just showing sites, placements and types of equipment. the second series of diagrams shows port connectivity, QOS etc

3. Document basic info on the CCM and Voicemail system

4. Verify and list smartnet/other contracts associated with the equipment

5. make the appropriate recommendations.

6. Normally i also take a backup of all systems, keep one in house and send one off to the customer.

7. the final submission would be a docment with Tables and then diagrams from the above

1. Internal Dial-Plan (separated by departments and location if possible)

2. Offnet dial-plan

3. CTI ports and RP

4. VM Pilots, Profiles etc

5. CSS and Partitions

6. HUNT Groups, Park, Pickup, Meetme,TOD, IPMA and any other features that they had enabled

7. Routing and Switching

8. The basic CCM info, Licenses, MAC addresses IP etc that kind of stuff

9. List of Smartnet contracts and summary of products and expiry date (Normally this is a little tough to gather if you didnt sell them the solution but i still remind the customer to ensure that the table is filled when the do get the contracts)

finally, we submit a PDF and and word document with a simple change control table. we also attach the licenses, some free admin tools, the admin guides, phone guides and screen shot documents on using some of the features ( normally extension mobility, attendant console that kind of thing) -All sent VIA CD of course :)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

a.gooding
Level 5
Level 5

Hey there

normally id do the following

1. pull the dial plan from the CCM and other equipment if required

2. collect the configs from the routers and switches, produce a series of diagrams. One high level just showing sites, placements and types of equipment. the second series of diagrams shows port connectivity, QOS etc

3. Document basic info on the CCM and Voicemail system

4. Verify and list smartnet/other contracts associated with the equipment

5. make the appropriate recommendations.

6. Normally i also take a backup of all systems, keep one in house and send one off to the customer.

7. the final submission would be a docment with Tables and then diagrams from the above

1. Internal Dial-Plan (separated by departments and location if possible)

2. Offnet dial-plan

3. CTI ports and RP

4. VM Pilots, Profiles etc

5. CSS and Partitions

6. HUNT Groups, Park, Pickup, Meetme,TOD, IPMA and any other features that they had enabled

7. Routing and Switching

8. The basic CCM info, Licenses, MAC addresses IP etc that kind of stuff

9. List of Smartnet contracts and summary of products and expiry date (Normally this is a little tough to gather if you didnt sell them the solution but i still remind the customer to ensure that the table is filled when the do get the contracts)

finally, we submit a PDF and and word document with a simple change control table. we also attach the licenses, some free admin tools, the admin guides, phone guides and screen shot documents on using some of the features ( normally extension mobility, attendant console that kind of thing) -All sent VIA CD of course :)

Hey Arvind,

Nice info here! +5 points for this good work.

Cheers!

Rob

always glad to help when i can :)

thanks for the rating

Arvind,

Also take my +5 point. Really good info !

Methodology is something that is always in shortage all over the world :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: