Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random 3-4 Second Delay After Answering Call

We recently installed a CallManager solution (CM4.1(3)SR3a) with 7941 phones (FW SCCP41.8-0-2SR1S). At random times on both internal and external calls, when a call comes in we answer the phone and say "Hello" and nothing. About 3-4 seconds later, the call actually connects and then you can hear the caller and vice versa. We were experiencing this on older CM code and older firmware. I've upgraded to the mentioned versions in hopes of finding a solution. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

13 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Red

Re: Random 3-4 Second Delay After Answering Call

Hi Brian,

It almost sounds like you are running into this bug for 7941G phones:

CSCsc99166

Initial voice clipping on SCCP and SIP phones

http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCsc99166

First Found-in Version 8.0 First Fixed-in Version 8.1(0.65), 8.0(2.3) Version help

Release Notes

Symptom:

both TNP SIP and SCCP phones experience initial voice clipping. the first few words of the conversation are chopped out.

Perhaps you could try upgrading one of the suspect phones to 8.1(0.65) or 8.0(2.3) to see if the problem is resolved.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts......

I don't think this is it. My reason for that is, we've been having this problem since the phone system was initially setup over a month ago, and at that time we were using version 7.0 code on the phones. I upgraded to 8 trying to fix this problem. But I'll give the upgrade to 8.1 a try.

Where would I find one of those two versions? The latest version I can find is 8.0(2)SR1 located here http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/ip-7900ser

Where would I find one of those two versions? The latest version I can find is 8.0(2)SR1 located here http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/ip-7900ser

Bronze

Hi,

It sounds like the call control QOS isn't working.

I had a very similiar problem which involved not having the correct access lists on a 6509.I had enabled qos for the voice traffic but not the call control traffic.

When a call was answered there was a delay in connecting the media stream which meant the person on the other end missed the greeting.

Hope this helps

mark

It happens on calls from one internal extension to another as well as external inbound calls. We have no access-lists on our switches, so I don't think this is an access-list issue. Also, it is intermittent. I would think that an access-list issue would cause the failure to occurr on every call.

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Brian,

That is interesting that 8.1(0.65), 8.0(2.3) are shown as the Fixed-in Version, yet are not available for download?? I would open a Tac case and try to obtain one of these versions directly.

Sorry I didn't look at the available versions before my first post.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.........

Does it happen on all phones intermittently or just a few phones? Is this a Call Manager cluster, or stand alone Call Manager?

I've experienced it and heard from at least 15 others out of the 150 users that have experienced it. I'm assuming it happens on all phones and only a few people have complained. I learned today that our receptionist has experienced it as well. She has a 7970, not 7941, so this may not be a FW issue. This is a CM cluster (publisher & subscriber).

Check DNS resolution between the Publisher and Subscriber (or whichever server the phones are registered on). I encountered a similar problem where either dial tone was delayed, or the voice stream was delayed on every 14th or 15th call (consistently) on the cluster. Clearing up the dns resolution issue between the pub and sub fixed it. Oddly enough there weren't more issues in the cluster.

Check the tcd server trace files for a similar error as below.:

INFO ACInterServerConnection.initconnection: com.cisco.ac.common.ACException: Cannot locate the server at {subscriber name}

Bill,

You may be onto it here. The subscriber was setup as a secondary DNS server for the domain used by the phones, but the DNS service was not starting due to other issues. I've fixed that issue, and we'll see how it goes.

Thanks!

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Brian,

Just as an FYI that Bug is also identified for 7970G and 7971G phones as well as 7941's and 7961's.

Cisco 7900 Series Unified IP Phones

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7970G/7971G-GE Release Notes for Firmware Release 8.0(1) for Cisco Unified CallManager (SCCP)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/prod_release_note09186a00805f2c04.html#wp37682

Hope this helps!

Rob

Bell ,

What do you mean DNS resolution issue between the Publisher and Subscriber. I faced this Problem a Long time ago and it disappeared out of the Blue. I am having other Server that the CCM Servers running the DNS Service and the IP Phones uses it as their DNS to resolve the CCM IP Addresses.

Please explain to us your DNS Setup and how you resolved its Problem.

Bfree , Please update us if Bill Suggestion resolved your Problem.

Regards

M.Tag

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content