Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Randomizing Passwords

OK, this might be a stupid question, and I apologize in advance if the answer is obvious and I just happened to miss it.

I know when you import users from a 2.46 DB into a 3.1 DB, you can force the system to generate new, random passwords for all subscribers. Is it possible to generate random passwords for new subscribers as you import them on a one by one basis from Exchange?

The problem is that if we issue a default password, and force them to change it at first logon, and the user answers all their voicemail via ViewMail for Outlook and never uses the handset, then anyone else who knows the default password can dial into unity and read their email. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES

Re: Randomizing Passwords

How is it you're generating random passwords when you do the import from 2.4.6 to 3.1? There's nothing in Unity that lets you do that as far as I know. You assign a default password to the subscriber template and import away, whether it's a 2.4.6 import or importing new users after the system has been up for a while.

Your users will have to log in via the TUI to setup their recorded name and greetings anyway, right? So even if they only use ViewMail, they'll have to log into their mailbox over the phone at lest once. Of course, I would think the fact that somebody could simply log in to another persons mailbox if they knew the default password would be incentive enough to get users to call in at least once.

adam

There is an option to generate a random password on the FullDBImport utility. It pipes these passwords to a text file. This is right in the screen shot you see when you look at the FullDBImport documentation.

Many users do not elect to log into the TUI to set up their greetings. They just leave everything as system and check all voicemail through Viewmail. Anyway, regardless of what the users may or may not elect to do, randomized passwords is what my customer is requiring of me. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Alright, I just found what you were probably referring to here:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/HelpFiles/SetSubscriberPasswords.htm

If you read the help file, it says you can do it after a 2.4.6-to-3.x import *or* after a regular mass import. Simply supply all of the subscriber extensions and new passwords in a text file, run it through the tool, and it resets all of the passwords.

If you're just importing one or two users at a time, this tool would be overkill. Just set the password in the SAWeb.

adam

OK, got it. But what you're essentially saying is that there is no way to randomize the passwords when you're just importing one or two users at a time, you have to do it manually through SAWeb, right?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content