Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Users might experience few discrepancies in Search results. We are working on this on our side. We apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused.

Read Receipts

It's seems a though when and IP end user initiates an E-MAIL MESSAGE with a RETURN RECEIPT OR PRIORITY OPTION, that the receipt or priority info. is then deposited in the IP end-users UNITY voice mail. NO MESSAGE WAIT LIGHT is indicated on the phone. However, once you log into VOICE MAIL it states that you have how ever many NEW messages.<br><br><br>

7 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Read Receipts

Yes… as strange as it sounds, what you describe is actually how it’s supposed to work. There’s a long, painful, convoluted story for why that is… First, let me say that you can edit the registry to have receipts not be presented in the voice mail stack. You can change this behavior for 2.4.5 and later. Go to:

HKLM\ SOFTWARE\ Active Voice\ Conversations\ 1.0\

You should see a key there called “Exclude Return Receipts” that’s a DWORD which defaults to “0”. If you set this to 1 and restart Unity, receipts will no longer be included in the voice mail stack for all users. If you don’t see the key name there you may have to add it. 2.4.6 build 102 should have it there by default but 2.4.5 didn’t and upgrades may not add it automatically.

Now… here’s the brief version of why it works like that.

When we filter your inbox to parse out messages into separate stacks (voice mail, email, faxes, read vs. unread, urgent vs. normal) we have to pass in a very long string of message class strings to Exchange to get the counts back and assemble all the messages into order (ourselves, Exchange doesn’t support server side sorting… but that’s another topic). Unfortunately, Exchange has a nasty little habit of leaking space into the PRIV.EDB store when your filter strings get longer than a set amount… it reserves space for the filter results that then doesn't get fully recovered. Eventually it’ll eat up all your private store space which isn’t recovered by online defrag and customers would have to run off line defrags to get them back. Ugly doesn’t begin to describe this scenario. Also, the longer the filter strings, the longer it takes to work through your inbox and get the stacks setup...

So… we couldn’t get overly fancy and generate separate stacks for NDRs and return receipts and non deliverable faxes etc… as we had originally wanted to since the filters would be much too long.

So the question came down to where to stick receipts and NDRs (we only filter on the beginning of the message class to determine if it’s a receipt or NDR, we don’t know if it’s a fax receipt, voice mail or email… again, gotta keep the filters reasonable). We opted to present them in the voice mail stack since all Unity subscribers will get that and not all will have email or fax stacks (and, of course, we couldn’t make a separate stack for these which was the original plan).

So… the MWIs don’t go on for these guys since the notifier isn’t picking them up as a voice mail but they’re presented in the voice mail stack. Odd, I know, but there was a method behind the madness. We’re hoping to address this with Exchange 2000 which has a different filtering mechanism we can leverage and present a separate receipts stack which will make this much cleaner.

Probably way more than you wanted to know, but there you go…

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Anonymous
N/A

This fix works perfectly. Thanks.

Anonymous
N/A

Actually I would like to retract my "works perfectly" posting. It works perfectly for delivery and read receipts, however, NDRs still show up as vmail messages. Is there some key that I can add like "Exclude NDR" or something like that to make it stop doing this?

MIKEC

Anonymous
N/A

No. NDRs are considered critical and we're hard coded to always present them.

User's shouldn't be getting NDRs at such a frequent pace that this is a big problem for folks... if so, they have bigger problems to investigate.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Anonymous
N/A

NDRs are not a big problem on my email system. The reason I'm asking is because, in an earlier post, you seemed to indicate that the modification of the registry value would resolve the issue for receipts as well as NDRs as they are all dumped into the same 'stack'. When I told a user that the receipt problem has been resolved he happened to receive an NDR that showed up as a vmail and as egg on my face. If NDRs are not included in this fix then fine......

MIKEC

Anonymous
N/A

Is there a bug I.D. for this issue and is this still an issue with Unity 3.2.1 where read receipts are reported as new voicemails.

Anonymous
N/A

There's no bug ID because it's not a bug... that's what I was trying to get at with that answer. It's working as designed.

This wont change until Unity 3.2 (which may be called 4.0 when it releases). The "FlexStack" feature will create a seperate 4th stack specifically for receipts.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content