cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reasons NOT to upgrade to CM 5.x

t.cameron
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have a CallManager 4.1(2) sr1 system implelemted at my company. Are there any reasons NOT to upgrade to the Call Manager 5.x series? I spoke with the original vendor of the system, but they didn't seem to have an answer other than "we haven't done it".

5 Replies 5

yshraybman
Level 4
Level 4

Do you have a good reason to upgrade to 5? If you absolutely require features that 4.1 does not provide than you should upgrade. Otherwise, I see no good reason to upgrade. (But I think appliance model is a way to go)

Is it SIP Phones is a good reason to upgrade to CM5? Or if we dont have plan to implement any SIP phones, better stay with CM4.1?

dcrown
Level 1
Level 1

yshraybman is right. Unless theres a major compelling feature then I'd hold off. I'm trying to get a lab up and running with 5.0 and i'd have to say the process has been less than stellar.

I would consider investigating an upgrade to 4.1(3) since there have been a number of bug fixes.

cybrsage
Level 1
Level 1

With CCM 5 you are moving to a Linux platform. It is severely locked down. You will lose most of the control over the OS.

You will also have trouble with troubleshooting, as most of the info on the web will be for the 4.x version.

leemj001
Level 1
Level 1

Beware of third party applications that read information directly out of the SQL Database for example CDR Billing applications.

In CCM5 there is no direct access to the SQL Databases, third party applications must use new Cisco APIs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: