cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reassigning Exchange Alias

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Greetings all. This is my first visit but this appears to be be a great resource.<br><br>The simple version of my question is, how can I reassign the Exchange Alias is in Unity, so Unity delivers to different mailbox?<br><br>The detailed version,<br><br>My issue is that I found it neccessary to recreate a user's Exchange mailbox and copy all of his old mail to his new mailbox and point his SMTP address to his new mailbox. <br><br>Currently Unity still sends his voicemail and fax messages to his old mailbox. As a quick fix I setup a rule to forward the messages to his new mailbox. He can now listen to his messages through a wav player, but if he tries to use ViewMail, it says he cannot listen to the message b/c it is not from his voicemail.<br><br>What I would like to do is delete his old mailbox. Change the Exchange Alias so it points to his new mailbox.<br><br>Any help will be greatly appriciated,<br>Will<br><br>

5 Replies 5

Not applicable

If I understand your situation correctly all you need to do is go into the Unity SA, head to the user's old mailbox and hit delete (this will only remove the Unity properites off that mailbox, not the mailbox itself). Then select to add a new subscriber, select to import an existing mailbox and go to the new mailbox you created for them. Assign it the same extension number and you'll be done.

This will lose the greetings, voice name, delivery devices and the like setup on the old subscriber mailbox. You can copy the voice name and greetings off manually (i.e. save the greetings and voice name as external WAV files) and then import them back in if that's necessary. You'll have to recreate the delivery devices if they have those setup.

If there's a lot of things on the user you don't want to have to reconfigure, you can use the Move Subscriber Info tool on the 2.x page of AnswerMonkey.net. This is designed for moving lots of users from VM only to a UM type setup and the like but it'll work for this as well.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Thank you for the quick response!

One slight variable I forgot to mention. Currently I can see the user's name if I check the company directory on my VoIP phone. But I cannot find him in SAweb; not by alias, name, extention.....

Not applicable

are you searching to import them as a new user or are you searching for them in the SA to delete them? Not sure which accounts you're talking about here. If you mean you can't find the new accounts to import them as subscribers, can you also try the Import utility found under the Unity program group as well as the SA import function?

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Searching for them in the SA to delete and/or reassociate to the new exchange mailbox.

The voiemail account existed before I tried changing the alias. The account still shows up if I search the gloal directory on my phone and it still has an extention associated with it.

Not applicable

Weird. So how changing the name of the old exchange alias disassociated it from Unity, but it still existed in Call Manager (which is why I could still see it on my phone). Once I imported the exchange user back into Unity it started working again.

Thank you very much for your help.

Will

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: