Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Rebuilding a UNITY server...Need to remove anything from Exchange?

I have a UNITY 3.1(5) server which is joined to an existing WIN2000 Domain. The Exchange Server 2000 is sitting on another machine. For several reasons, I need to rebuild the UNITY server, and reinstall everything from scratch. Do I need to remove any users or OUs from the Exchange and Active Directory before rebuilding the UNITY machine? Ofcource, after rebuilding the UNITY machine, I will keep the same machine name, IP address etc as before.

Thanks

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Rebuilding a UNITY server...Need to remove anything from Exc

It's a real good idea to run the uninstall for Unity and follow the directions in the last step that says to remove the public distribution lists, example admin/subscriber and the locations container created by Unity - more to the point, the uninstall strips Unity properties off standing mail users in the directory and if you don't do that they will not be seen as available to import when you build your new system since they'll be seen as associated with "another" Unity - even if the machine name is the same this may still be the case since we create a "system id" value that's sort of a "SID lite" (we don't have enough characters to use to do a proper SID) that may not match.

You can also consider using DiRT here - it can backup your system info on the current box and restore it to the new server you install and hook up to all the users in the directory on the fly afterwards - unless your current system is in a bad state that you don't want to pull forward this may save you some time. You can get the latest versions of DiRT backup and restore here:

http://www.answermonkey.net/App_DisasterRecoveryTools.htm

Dear Sir,

Thanks for the help...I really appreciate that.

Unfortunately I have already formated the UNITY machine and I will rebuild it later, but I have not run the uninstall utility before doing the format...Fortunately I had only a few subscribers imported in UNITY from Exchange. So, what do you suggest to do on those subscribers now? Can I manually remove Unity properties from those mail subscribers on the directory?

Thanks again

Cisco Employee

Yes, to remove Unity properties from users in AD you can use the Remove Subscriber Properties tool which you'll find in the ToolsDepot or you can download the latest version here:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_BunnyKiller.htm

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content