cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

recipients container problem

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have a site that has got two containers for recipients under the site in Exchange administrator Namely 1-Recipients 2-Faculty.<br>Unity sees only the recipients container. I need to import users from faculty container. Is there a way to do that.<br>Thanx<br><br>Sean<br><br>

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

If you create containers that are peers to the "recipients" container, by default we wont see users in those containers. Gernally it's a better idea to creat subcontainers under recipeints and you wont have a problem (other applications besides Unity will trip on this as well).

However, there is a work around for this in Unity if the site doesn't want to move it's containers around. You can force Unity to look at the site level down instead of the recipients container down and it'll pick up everyone, this includes the import utility as well.

Be aware that there will be a slight performance hit since searching at a higher level down means slogging through more directory entires. It shouldn't be too bad, however. And it does require a registry change so, as usual, please excercise extreme caution when editing registry settings.

In the registry head to "HKLM | Software | Active Voice | DALex | 1.0 | Mail Users". You'll see a key called "root" in that branch. At the beginning of that key you'll see "cn=Recipients,ou=..." Remove the "cn=Recipients," and leave the rest there. Restart the system (reboot is best) and it'll allow you to get at the folks in the other containers.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice Corp
jlindborg@activevoice.com

Not applicable

I used this post to expand my search, It got one more container. But others are still unavailable.

Works Name
(YES) Cust techs
(NO) Cust_admins
(NO) Cust_users
(NO) Cust_off_site
(YES) Recipients

Any help would be appreciated

Not applicable

We're not doing anything special to filter into peer directories, it's just standard LDAP queries here. We're sending a search request to LDAP and including the "top node" which in this case will be your entire site container (which again, I think, is a bad idea, but hey... if peer containers are really important to you, rock on).

If users in those containers are not being returned to us as part of the search, I'm not sure why that would be. I have a test box with 24 peer containers to recipients and I pick up users in all of them.

The only thing I notice here is the use of the "_" character in your container name... should be legal but I don't use special characters on my test servers (MS is notorious for having problems with anything other than alphanumeric characters in site names, domain names etc... even though technically they're legal).

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)