Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendation for a Cryptographic Software link for Unity

Hello -

I would like to recommend a Cryptographic Software link for Unity similar to the one available for CallManager - where we could download OS, bios, and security updates (like the WEBDAV MS03-007 update). I continually reference this link to make sure we have updates "blessed" by Cisco for CallManager. Having a similar link to check for Unity would be a tremendous value. And maybe even a reference link to Unity's compatibility/roadmap chart.

Sincerely, Ginger

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gold

Re: Recommendation for a Cryptographic Software link for Unity

Hey Ginger,

As you have noticed, the different Cisco products each have their own model for supplying Microsoft services packs and hot fixes. For CallManager they are posted on CCO. For Unity, the customer must get them from Microsoft directly.

The Unity policy is available here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/prod_pre_installation_guide09186a00801245c3.html

Take a look at the section titled:

Support Policy for Required and Recommended Third-Party Service Packs and Updates

The reason they are a different is because each product is developed by a different group within Cisco. Each group has their own idea in regards to how Cisco should provide these updates. I have found that customers are spilt down the middle on which they prefer. Half want Cisco to provide it and half don't. The think the long term solution is for us to do both.

From a customer standpoint we (Cisco) totally understand that there needs to be consistency across our products. If fact, a new group has emerged within Cisco called the Voice Telephony Group and one of its responsibilities is product consistency. Addressing updates is definitely on this list but there are some other consistency issues that are currently taking precedence.

I hope that helps,

Keith :-)

3 REPLIES
Gold

Hey Ginger,

As you have noticed, the different Cisco products each have their own model for supplying Microsoft services packs and hot fixes. For CallManager they are posted on CCO. For Unity, the customer must get them from Microsoft directly.

The Unity policy is available here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/prod_pre_installation_guide09186a00801245c3.html

Take a look at the section titled:

Support Policy for Required and Recommended Third-Party Service Packs and Updates

The reason they are a different is because each product is developed by a different group within Cisco. Each group has their own idea in regards to how Cisco should provide these updates. I have found that customers are spilt down the middle on which they prefer. Half want Cisco to provide it and half don't. The think the long term solution is for us to do both.

From a customer standpoint we (Cisco) totally understand that there needs to be consistency across our products. If fact, a new group has emerged within Cisco called the Voice Telephony Group and one of its responsibilities is product consistency. Addressing updates is definitely on this list but there are some other consistency issues that are currently taking precedence.

I hope that helps,

Keith :-)

Hi Keith -

As always, thank you for the prompt response and update re. the Voice Telephony Group. Sounds like a great idea :-)

Sincerely, Ginger

I would like to chime in with my two cents on a suggestion for this Voice Telephony Group.

I would like to see more consistency between Callmanager and Unity. I would like to have a combined User web Interface for a user’s voice mail settings in Unity and their IP Phone setting for Callmanager. Currently I have designed my own front for these two web services and I provide my users with links to both web sites. But my users must login each to two separate web pages which is sometimes cumbersome.

I would also love to see a combined Unity and Callmanager web page where you add new users. Sort of like combining Callmanager’s BAT feature with Unity’s Add user menus. Currently with Cisco BAT web pages, I created a small asp web form that allows me to generate a single BAT entry as a CSV file for import. I can then goto this page enter the User’s name and phone number and User ID and generate the BAT CSV file. I can then use BAT to import this one user and have a phone setup with a standard configuration. As I go through this process I have to switch between the Unity web page to create the Unity user account, then finish the BAT import, so it will associate the phone with the user. Currently BAT could create the AD User account, but it cannot create the Exchange e-mail account needed by Unity.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content