cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recovering from an Exchange rebuild

emlee
Level 1
Level 1

So I had my test Unity box working perfectly in our Exchange 2000 migration test lab with a test call manager as well. Everything worked fine.<br><br>We ran into a couple issues with the ADC for Exchange and decided to rebuild the lab. So we pulled the harddrives out of the DC and two exchange servers and replaced them with "clean" versions of the lab from harddrives off pulled mirrors.<br><br>So, the Exchange environment and DC is all new and obviously doesn't know about Unity's existence. I reran the configuration setup utility and Unity started up just fine. I can even add and delete Unity accounts and see the list of unsubscribed users from Exchange when I attempt to add. I can leave messages from the Cisco IP phone system.<br><br>However... I get no MWI and the messages aren't showing up in Exchange. If I open the Exchange Administrator, there is no Unity folder either.<br><br>What did I do wrong? Thanks in advance.<br><br>

5 Replies 5

Not applicable

if the configuration setup went through and Unity is starting up, the objects had to have got created in the directory somewhere... is the "Unity Messaging System - (server name)" account created on the exchange server you selected during the configuraiton setup? Are these messages haging out in the UMR somewhere (check the commserver\UnityMTA directory for files). Those messages have to be going somewhere... if they're not there check the recipients of the Unaddressed Messages DL. Also, check the applciation event log for any error messages of interest...

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

The configuratino setup does go through perfectly and Unity starts up just fine. I've attached my event logs that show some problems.

I have NO Unity folder under configuration in the Exchange Administrator. I can however add and delete subscribers just fine by "querying" exchange for unsubscribed users.

The Unity Message System - Servername account is there... As are the Example Administrator - Servername and Example Subscriber - Servername accounts.

The event log errors are UMR related. See below.

I did have a couple .wav files in my UnityMTA directory that are my test messages that never got delivered. I deleted those, reran the config setup utility and now, the messages don't even show up there. If I dial in to get the messages, I get the recording that they are not available.

Here's a sampling from my event logs... these keep repeating in this order over and over... I have over 2000 event log entries similar to this in the past 6 hours.

NOTE: Weird thing is that the event logs point to a Drive E: that doesn't exist.

Computer: T-BH-SOFT
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 120 ) in Source ( AvUMR_MC ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 1201, e:\views\Unity3.1.2.41\un_Conv3\UnityUMR\AvUMRSyncSvr\UMRThread.cpp, 0x00000A50.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: AvWM_MC
Event Category: (6)
Event ID: 29001
Date: 6/13/2002
Time: 10:29:48 AM
User: N/A
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 29001 ) in Source ( AvWM_MC ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 2568:2000.

Event Source: AvLogMgrSvr_MC
Event Category: (2)
Event ID: 10055
Time: 10:29:49 AM
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 10055 ) in Source ( AvLogMgrSvr_MC ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: AvUMRSyncSvr, C:\CommServer\logs\diag_AvUMRSyncSvr_20020613_102949.txt.

Event Category: (3)
Event ID: 29000
Time: 10:29:50 AM
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 29000 ) in Source ( AvWM_MC ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 2568:2000.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: AvUMR_MC
Event Category: (2)
Event ID: 101
Time: 10:29:50 AM
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 101 ) in Source ( AvUMR_MC ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: IAvDohDirectory::Find(), 0x8004010F, 597, e:\views\Unity3.1.2.41\un_Conv3\UnityUMR\AvUMRSyncSvr\UMRThread.cpp, 0x00000A50, 0x00000A50.

Not applicable

Unfortunately, viewing the app log in evt format is only useful if viewed on a Unity system, otherwise the dlls for formatting aren't there. Don't worry about the reference to the E: drive, that's referencing something that was present during the build process, it's not a problem here.

The Unity location is going to show up in the AD Users and Computers snapin, and you have to set the advanced view to see the location.

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Here's the event logs taken from the Unity box.

I hope this helps figure out my problem.

To restate my problem...

In our Ex2K test lab, we had to delete and recreate our exchange servers. Unity was once working just fine in the environment. We rebuilt the DC, and two exchange boxes. So Unity lost it's matching Exchange boxes and so I reran the configuration setup program to reattach Unity to the new Exchange boxes (same servernames).

The configuratino setup does go through perfectly and Unity starts up just fine. I've attached my event logs that show some problems. The Unity system does start up just fine and it takes messages for any subscribers I added to the Unity system.

I have NO Unity folder under configuration in the Exchange Administrator. I can however add and delete subscribers just fine by "querying" exchange for unsubscribed users.

The Unity Message System - Servername account is there... As are the Example Administrator - Servername and Example Subscriber - Servername accounts.

The event log errors are UMR related. See below.

I did have a couple .wav files in my UnityMTA directory that are my test messages that never got delivered. I deleted those, reran the config setup utility and now, the messages don't even show up there. If I dial in to get the messages, I get the recording that they are not available.

Here's a sampling from my event logs... these keep repeating in this order over and over... I have over 2000 event log entries similar to this in the past 6 hours.

NOTE: Weird thing is that the event logs point to a Drive E: that doesn't exist.

Event Type: Warning
Event Category: UMR Thread Error
Time: 11:54:02 AM
Description:
IAvDohDirectory::Find() returned [0x8004010F] on line 597 of file e:\views\Unity3.1.2.41\un_Conv3\UnityUMR\AvUMRSyncSvr\UMRThread.cpp

Event Type: Error
Event Source: AvCs_MC
Event Category: None
Event ID: 100
Description:
Exception occurred and handled in File: e:\views\Unity3.1.2.41\un_Doh1\MalMapi\MALEx\AvMALExRecipients.cpp at Line: 1201 - Error: 80004005H Call stack:
0x5E53414D AvMalExSvr.dll:
0xFEDCBA98 : :
0x89ABCDEF : :
0x77D5298F RPCRT4.DLL: RpcRevertToSelf + 858 bytes

Description:
IAvDohMessage::Submit() returned [0x80040920] on line 363 of file e:\view
Description:
SendUMRMessages() returned [0x80040920] on line 66 of file e:\views\Unity3.1.2.41\un_Conv3\UnityUMR\AvUMRSyncSvr\UMRThread.cpp

Event ID: 120
Description:
Succeeded delivering UMR messages. Message from the temporary store would be delivered (line 1201 of file e:\views\Unity3.1.2.41\un_Conv3\UnityUMR\AvUMRSyncSvr\UMRThread.cpp)

Event Category: Stop
Description:
2568:1936: The server monitor thread has stopped

Event Category: Run
Time: 11:54:03 AM
Description:
AvUMRSyncSvr opened new diagnostic file C:\CommServer\logs\diag_AvUMRSyncSvr_20020613_115403.txt

Event ID: 120
Time: 11:54:05 AM
Description:
Succeeded delivering UMR messages. Message from the temporary store would be delivered (line 1201 of file e:\views\Unity3.1.2.41\un_Conv3\UnityUMR\AvUMRSyncSvr\UMRThread.cpp)

Event Category: Stop
Time: 11:54:05 AM
Description:
2568:1936: The server monitor thread has stopped

Event Category: Run
Time: 11:54:07 AM
Description:
AvUMRSyncSvr opened new diagnostic file C:\CommServer\logs\diag_AvUMRSyncSvr_20020613_115407.txt