cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

REMOTE SITE MOH SERVERS

aslam
Level 3
Level 3

I have a Centralized CCM setup. The remote sites are connected over T1 links. The Music on Hold is of really bad quality at the remote site.

Now in order to install MUSIC on HOLD servers locally at the remote sites, is it required to use MCS servers or can we do this on other servers also. Has anyone tried this ?

Is there any other way to increase the quality of MOH at the remote sites.

TIA

10 Replies 10

sbilgi
Level 5
Level 5

I think the music on hold server application can be configured only on an MCS.

The following document conveys this:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_callmg/3_3/sys_ad/3_3_3/ccmfeat

tim.medley
Level 2
Level 2

What codec are you using for MOH at the remote sites? G729 is not optimized for music, so G729 MOH generally sounds bad. If you have enough bandwith and QoS is adequately configured, you could use G711 for MOH.

Another option is you can configure a router for SRST at the remote site and then use the SRST router to stream a MOH file. Only certain routers can support SRST so there are some limitations.

Take a look here for more information on SRST.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2169/products_feature_guide09186a008018912f.html

tm

Tim Medley, CWNA, CCDP, CCNP+Voice

Sr. Network Engineer

Corliant

Hi Tim,

We have a very similar problem.

How can you 'register' the SRST-router moh-file on callmanager? Streaming the MOH from the routers flash sounds great, but of course we do not want the phones to run in fallback-mode all the time.

So I assume we must register the SRST-router as a 'media-resource' on callmanager somewhere.

Best regards,

Bruno

The configuration information is in the SRST 3.0 admin guide. Take a look here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5012/products_feature_guide_chapter09186a0080181322.html#37685

Basically, you enable the MOH file on the remote sites/srst router as a multicast moh file.

I have this working and I have to say it's a neat trick. The biggest limitation is that only certain routers are supported in the latest version of SRST, I haven't tried it but I suspect that SRST 2.x cannot support this feature; only SRST 3.x and above.

tm

Hi,

I can't try this feature just know I found that you have to configure:

R2651Mad(config)# call-manager-fallback

R2651Mad(config-cm-fallback)# multicast moh 239.10.20.30 port 2000

But,

* do you need to configure anything else?

* Do you have to specify the music file name anywhere?

* The IP phones with SRST reference in the CCM to this Gateway with the music file (even not working in SRST mode) use that MOH automatically, or is needed some other configuration in the CCM?

Regards

I don't see how the phone would know that the MOH is G711. Call Manager would think that the phone needs to be set for G729 since the call was set up over a link/region requiring G729. So the phone is on hold, and joins the multicast group, and will be receiving a G711 stream from the local router, but expecting G729 from the remote MOH server. I have not tested this, but I don't see how it can work unless Call Manager knows there is a MOH source in the same region as the phone. Unless the phone is smart enough to recognize G711, and shift gears?

As Tim said earlier this is a neat "trick", with trick being the appropriate word.

The call manager is configured to multicast MOH at a specific address, but the WAN is not configured to support multicasting, instead the SRST router is configured to multicast MOH to the same address and port as the call manager server so the phones/gateways are tricked into playing whatever they hear on that port.

This way a caller on hold consumes NO wan bandwidth!

It is a trick but a very clever one that works fine. Don't complain about it just use it!!!

Thanks Tim for highlighting this.

Paul

I have the next configuration:

call-manager-fallback

max-conferences 4

ip source-address 192.168.67.1 port 2000

max-ephones 48

max-dn 96

dialplan-pattern 1 9127070.. extension-length 4 extension-pattern 70..

moh opus.wav

multicast moh 239.1.1.1 port 16384

And a valid g.711 wav file

R2651Mad#dir

Directory of flash:/

2 -rw- 2702727 opus.wav

33030144 bytes total (11603304 bytes free)

There is no multicast delivered from the gateway neither in normal mode neither in SRST Mode

I'm assuming that the ip source-address you have specified is the lan interface of the router on the same subnet as the ip phones?

And that the call manager is configured to multicast to 239.1.1.1 port 16384?

And that you have SRST version 3.0 on the router?

Paul

Yes,

All you assume is correct and I don't have Multicast MoH