cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

remote voice mail retrieval

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

We need to retrieve our voice mails remotely but the usual legacy way does not work - dial our extensions then hit *. Please help to learn how to do this. Thank you very much.<br><br>

8 Replies 8

Not applicable

Try it the other way around: dial * and then your voice mail extension.

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Not applicable

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your patience to answer all of my questions. Since I have requests from customers therefore I have to bother you for info.
Again about remote voice mail retrieval, it works fine as you instructed but customer wants to use a difference number, rather than the main line, to retrieve voice mails. The reason is if someone tries to retrives his voice mails and dials the main number, the receptionist will answer the phone right away. This is customer's preference so we have to use a different number for voice mail retrieve. How could I set this up ? Thanks a million.
Duc Vu

Not applicable

One way would be set up on the switch. They just need to direct another outside line (like the one that goes to the operator) to the Unity system. That's the best way to do it. Do they not want to do that?

If they want people to call their own DID's (which will ring their extensions first, and then hopefully forward to voice mail), they should be able to dial "*" at their own personal greeting, wait for a second, and then Unity will ask for their ID. Is that not working?

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Not applicable

Thanks, Steve for help. I'm not sure I understand your answer. Say I'm calling my work number (745 8901) from home then dial * and follow by my extension number 8901 to retrieve my voice mails. Is that how it work ?
Duc Vu

Not applicable

By looking at those numbers, it sounds like dialing 745-8901 will ring a your desk phone (extension 8901). Is that correct? If so, that'll most likely forward to voice mail and you are going to be leaving a message for yourself (probably not what you want to do). Is there not a central number that dumps people into the Unity main greeting? Or does calling 745-8901 dump you into the main greeting?

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Not applicable

Hi Steve,
We also have the main number which is 745 8000, my extension is 8901. So what I need to do is to call 745 8000 then * and enter 8901 for voice mail retrieval ? Thanks for your patience. Duc Vu.

Not applicable

Yes, that should do it.

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Not applicable

Ok, ok so you got me there. That type of stuff is alot easier to do when you are riding on the backplane of a switch. Yep, I could see where that would be annoying. I would imagine that features like this will be more likely to show up in the CallManager integration.

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: