Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Remote worker VoIP solution w/callmanager

I have a need to set up some remote users with IP telephony.... they're going to be connected via ADSL, over an ISP network owned by ourselves...

Basically, my idea so far is to get hold of an 827-4v and an 827H, with the 4v ad the client end. We'd connect a standard analog phone to the 4v running H323 and a VPN between the two routers, and set up dial-peers pointing to our CallManagers as usual for a h323 gateway...

Anyone see any problems with this? Or any suggestions/recommendations?

The other matter is codec choice... ideally we need to use g.729, however we need something to do the transcoding - can the 827 do this? or do we need to set this up on our CallManagers or get another device?

The 827H at our main site would be just while we test this solution, if a meatier product is requred we can swap this out later....

Aaron Harrison

4 REPLIES

Re: Remote worker VoIP solution w/callmanager

I guess it all depends. You did say Voip with Callmanager. I think the better solution is:

1. SOHO Router from Cisco

2. Build VPN connection back to homesite

3. Drop in an IP phone

-G729 Codec

-Secured phone calls

-Possible SRST if you go with a higher end router.

Do realize that QoS isn't possible across public internet. But don't worry. It works for us. But don't expect to hear a pin drop on the other side.

i did the same as you works ok..I am having problems remote ip phone to remote ip phone..How do yours sound ?

Bronze

You could use the Softphone client. I have a couple of users using this solution. One has a Plantronics headset and the other has a Claritel USB handset. The key is that either device has its own DSP so you don't take away from the system processor. Then they can VPN from anywhere and use the softphone.

Geoff

Couple of issues with the VPN client and softphone on the same machine. In particular with the Softphone Network Audio Settings having to be configured each time the user VPN'd in. Maybe that has been fixed.

My remote-remote sounds ok as long as they are not transfering large files. For SOME REASON Cisco's SOHO 91 doesn't support QoS. Even thought the docs say it does, and the older model SOHO does support it. Kinda frustrating.

Views
Helpful
Replies