Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Removing default Unity accounts

Hi

I'm looking at a 4.0.3 install and I see an account called Unity_<servername>. This acount is not associated with any subscribers and is not one of the accounts I created during the system preperation. There aren't any services running with this user's credentials so either so I'd like to know if I can delete the user account and what its purpose is.

Also, I'd like to remove the example administrator account as well. I found a document for removing the example administrator in version 3.1. Is it safe to use the same procedure with 4.0.3?

Thanks

3 REPLIES
Gold

Re: Removing default Unity accounts

No you can't delete the Unity_ account. You can disable it if you like. The mailbox (which AD require to have an account) is used as our gateway to Exchange. If you delete it all access to Exchange fails.

You can use to 3.1 guide to delete the Example Administrator.

Thanks,

Keith

Keith,

Are there any good documents on what accounts are absolutely required, what service accounts are necessary after install and with what domain permissions. I have the problem that I myself am not an MS Admin and the individual that is scans the domain and wants me to delete or disable EVERY account that is not required.

Thanks

Gold

After the install all you need is the Message Store , Directory and Unity_ account. The permissions wizard help file details the permissions it sets for those accounts and *none* of them can be removed.

If you delete the installation account you will need to recreate it next time you upgrade. It would be better to disable the account so that next time you need to the MS Admin doesn't need to get involved other than to reinable it.

Also there is a location object for Unity in AD called DefaultXXXXXXXX. Don't delete that either.

Other than that stuff you can refer to this:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/whitpapr/secure40.htm

I would have a chat with the MS admin about Unity. Doing things like moving the Unity_ mailbox, removing a DC or DC/GC and all kinds of other fun stuff that doesn't seem like it will break Unity actually will. Let them know to contact you *BEFORE* they do anything major to Exchange or AD and then you can search/post out here if you are concerned that it could impact Unity. We are here to help avoid pain. :-)

Keith

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content