Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Renaming notification devices for all users

Is there any way to rename the notification devices for all users. For example - I'd definitely like to rename something like "phone2" to "Cell Phone". <br> <br><br>

2 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Renaming notification devices for all users

No, these aren't display names that are showing up there, those are actually aliases used to identify the notification device in the collection. If you went in and hacked a different name in there the conversations, SA and other interested parties may not find what they're looking for any longer.

I'm just curious why you want to do this... An external phone device is the same to the dialout engine regardless of if it's a local extension, remote land line or a cell phone... is this just for aesthetic reasons or are you trying to standardize the use of these devices for some other reason?

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Re: Renaming notification devices for all users

Ease of use.

1. I like to know that the "Home phone is a home phone, the "Pager" is a pager, etc. I was rather surprised that there was no device labeled Cell phone.

2. It's fairly standard in our organization that users have one set of notification rules for urgent messages and another set of rules from non-urgent messages. In almost every case both notifications are going to the same device however they are active at differernt times with different intervals etc. In addition (on pagers) there is a notation that the call is urgent. It would be very convienent to rename some devices to normal and urgent.

Right now some folks have their cell under home phone and others have it under phone2/3/etc or spare phone. Some people have their cell phone entered under home and phone2, but home is urgent and phone2 is not (they are physically the same device but the name in Unity leads me to believe they are not). The same is happening with pager and pager2.

Functionally its all the same, but being able to rename devices would make it easier to understand when looking at it. Although having the ability to define different schedules for urgent and non-urgent messages on the same device would alleviate mush of this confucion as well. But I still think there must be at least 1 device called cell phone, because lets face it who doesn't have one now.

Views
Helpful
Replies