cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Repeating Voice?

JeffG1
Level 3
Level 3

Has any one had a user complain about a call where bits of the person at the other end repeats itself... I have one user who said he has had a few calls where the person's voice has repeated several times but the other person was not repeating... Could this be some form of Jitter?

10 Replies 10

dnmann
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer complaining of this same problem. Have you found any resolution, or does anyone out there have any ideas?

No I have not heard anything on this issue. I asked the user to document when it is happening so I can check network congestion and such...

brian.cowley
Level 1
Level 1

We occasionally have calls that start distorting briefly and/or retransmitting portions of the conversation from the non-ip side. Since UDP doesn't retransmit lost packets, I am at a loss of how this could occur.

cairns-a
Level 1
Level 1

I have had this problem. We use IP phone and it calls across the wan to an h.323 gw to fxs port. The IP phone will hear sometimes the other party repeat. I have a tac case open and they found that some of the timestamps are missing. Example: timestamps go 1,2,3,20,21,22,23. 4-19 are missing. The buffer starts to buffer and then fills. When it gets full it has to send to the packets. This has created delay as well for us. I was able to send a sniffer trace off the phone to tac. They could then listen to the call and heard the repeat. They think they found the issue for us. It has to do with having caller-id enabled on the fxs ports? I still have this case open trying to get a resolution. Our workaround is turn caller-id off. You may try that if this applies to your config. I still do not understand why the call repeats.

Would it be possible for you to post the case number. I am working on a similar problem with my local SE and it might help if he can talk to the TAC engineer working on the case. Our problem involves FXO ports connected to the PSTN and the IP phone user will hear the far end voice repeated for about 1 second at various points during the call.

wbaker17
Level 1
Level 1

Jeff

Can you provide more information about the local setup where this problem is happening?

I experienced something similar. I had a 3640 router where there were a high number of errors occurring on the Ethernet interface in full-duplex mode. This produced a variety of problems for Voice traffic, most notably during periods of high traffic through the router. In one instance, the majority of calls inbound to a particular user produced an echo (repeat) of the IP phone user's voice as much as two seconds later.

The LAN infrastructure consists of 3524-PWR switched with 1000BaseT uplinks to a 3550 that is doing the routing for all the VLANs. The site is relatively small, under 40 phones and maybe that many workstations. The 3660 is connected to a port on one of the 3524s. The port is 100Mb/full duplex and there are no errors or collisions on the port. Thanks

emorgan
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Jeff,

I have a customer experiencing the same problems with repeating words and also some lost words. All the problems are on the IP phone side.

CM3.2.2c SPG, VG200-PRI-MGCP 12.2.13T1

TAC currently is working on a few traces I sent them.

Did you find the source of your problem??

While waiting for TAC, we did back track on the phone load from P00303020215 to P00303020204 as well as replace the

vg200-PRI-MGCP with an old DT-24+ from my lab. No problems reported since we made these two changes. We are still

working on pin-pointing the exact source of the problem.

Thanks for your input,

Eric Morgan

I never did find the source and the issue never showed up again. I would be interested to know what TAC finds...

DovidBender
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

This is not a Cisco issue but is a wholesale telecom issue. I assume you were calling to the middle east, Germany, Turkey or South Africa? Below is a response I recently posted to a Google thread explaining the issue.

This is a known issue primarily to the middle east but to other countries as well. I work for a telecom carrier and about two years ago we started seeing this issue to Saudi Arabia and the UAE. We have also see it to Turkey, Germany and lastly South Africa. Basically what is happening is there is a carrier in route that is messing with the call. The way telecom works is every carrier pays he next carrier per minute for the call. So for instance if you are using Google Voice they may send the call to British Telecom. British Telecom may then hand of the call to Verizon. Verizon may then have relationship with DU (a carrier in Saudi Arabia) which completes the call to the mobile headset.

In telecom it's all about how much you pay per minute for the call and how much you can then sell it for. Let's change the above scenario but instead of Verizon sending the call to DU (which is direct in Saudi Arabia) they have a carrier that is a fraction cheaper. So instead of paying 0.14 per minute (the going wholesale rate to Saudi Arabia)) this carrier only charges them 0.13. They are going to prefer using the carrier that cost 0.13 to save 0.01 per minute. Now this may not sound like a lot but go and multiply that by 10 million minutes a month (aka $100,000) it adds up. So why is this shady carrier messing with your audio? What they do is they take the call from Verizon. Now when most people start a call they start with "hello". So let's say your calling your mom in Germany. She picks up and says "hello", you say back "hi how are you". She then says "I am fine". They will record the first few seconds of the call "Hello, I am fine"". Now say you speak for 30 seconds straight, telling your mom how school was, how the dog is etc. You then both talk for a bit. What happens next is this shady carrier will hang up on your mom. They will play back to you the beginning of the call where your mom says "Hello, I am fine". If you never experienced this issue before you will think your mom did not hear your 30 second talk on how school is how the dog is behaving etc. So you repeat everything you just said. This "carrier" is now making 0.13 on a call that is going no where. So they are charging Verizon for those 30 seconds even though they are no longer paying for it as they already told the carrier in Germany to hang up the call.

Another key part in telecom is being able to re-produce an issue. Whenever you open a ticket with a provider they will try to re-produce the issue. The people doing this fraud know this and set up their systems to not do this to every call. They only do it every so often so it makes it impossible to track the issue. We have this issue with all major carriers such as British Telecom, Verizon, TI Sparkle, BICS (aka BelgaCom) etc. The only way to root out the issue is to complain to your provider and insist that they complain to their upstream providers.

TBH in the beginning I thought like others have that perhaps it was a buffer issue on an old T1/E1 circuit but then we noticed that the issue as spreading. First it was just to two middle eastern countries and then it spread to countries that were the wholesale telecom rates were not stable. For instance South Africa was a stable route for many years. recently they changed the rates for calls that came in from out of the country by 600% (where the wholesale rate was 0.02 per minute it went to 0.12 per minute). As always the large carriers will try to buy at the lowest rate and sell at the highest. This introduces the same seedy carriers and their little games to earn a small profit at your expense.