Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Replacing a subscriber using identical hostname

Hi All,

I have a requirement for a customer who wants to replace 2 subscribers which are running on old hardware.

They want the replacements built with the same hostnames so that we don't have to edit the Callmanager Groups which would in turn cause thousands of phones all over the country to reset.

I am woried that when I try to install the callmanager software and tell these servers to home onto the publisher it will complain that these servers already exist. (I would obviously power the old ones off first). I am thinking this because SQL replication agreements would already exist with those names and this may cause the installation to fail.

I am interested to know does anybody have any experience with replacing subscribers. I know that it would be simple to just create them with a new name but would like to avoid the mass phone reset situation.

I have exprerienced recreating replication agreements on other sites but I am wondering whether I should actually delete the existing subscription agreements beforehand as a precaution.

Any advice would be apreciated.

Thanks

Damian

3 REPLIES

Re: Replacing a subscriber using identical hostname

Damian,

One option would be to take a BARS backup of the current subscribers and restore to the new machines. See the Restoring Subscriber Servers and Replacing an Existing or a Failed Server sections of the BARS Admin Guide below.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a00801ebeae.html#wp1031138

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

Thanks Brandon, I had no idea that you could or that it would ever be necessary to backup a subscriber as it is so easy to add a new one. Now I can see why though.

From what this document says there shouldn't be a problem adding a server that already ewxists in the CCM database.

Damian

FYI this all went smoothly, didn't even need to backup the subscriber with BARS after all - in fact it will only let you backup a publisher database as I thought. Did need to reinitialize the database though using dblhelper.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content