Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Replacing Publisher DB on a cluster

i am going to replace The publisher in a cluster with other 6 Sub running, i wish to perform the following procedure founded on CCO:

Replacing the Publisher Database Server After the Installation

To replace an existing or failed server, perform the following steps:

1. Install the operating system and the Cisco CallManager software as if it were a new installation by using the Cisco-provided operating system disks and the operating system documentation.

2. Upgrade to the version of the Cisco CallManager that you want to restore.

3. If necessary, reinstall the Cisco IP telephony applications, plugins, and service releases to the version that is compatible with the restored version of Cisco CallManager.

4. To obtain the locales that were used prior to the restoration, reinstall the Cisco IP Telephony Locale Installer.

5. Restore the backup data to the new server and reboot the server.

To restore the data, you must have backup data stored on tape or on a network directory, not on the local directory of the existing or failed server.

6. Verify that the data was restored to the new server.

7. If you are replacing a server with four drives, Cisco recommends that you set the trace directory path on the server to the default C: drive before you backup your server.

8. If your server has four drives, you can configure the trace drive for trace file collection.

my question is about restoring data, in fact i would like to know if during this operation the Publisher must be connected on the LAN and comunicating with other SUBSCRIBERS.

I mean,

1-do i have to connect the publisher on the LAN as first step (before start all the procedure.

2-do i have to connect the pub at the end of the procedure when also the configuartion is restored.

I have some doubts on the first option because i think that the new installed publisher could erase the existing configuration on the running subscribers and this could generate a great interruption of service in a producing networks.

Can you give me some feedback???

Re: Replacing Publisher DB on a cluster

The restore might break SQL subscriptions. You might need to re-publish it to subscribers. Have dblhelper.exe utility ready in case you need to re-publish subscriptions. You can get it from cisco TAC. Also a very good idea is to have cisco on stand-by just in case something goes wrong.

CreatePlease to create content