cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rerouting telephone calls from branch office abroad to local PSTN

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have a small branch office in Russia. I intend to create a VPN and VoIP between 2 offices through internet by using one of the sisco routers 800 series. Is it possible to reroute incoming calls from my branch office to PSTN in my country(Holland) by using routers 800 series or i have to buy 1751v or 2651xm-v? I have in Holland one ISDN-2 connection to PSTN and one DSL connection to internet.

4 Replies 4

eyabane
Level 1
Level 1

I believe the cisco 1751 is the smallest voice-capable router you can buy. i haven't yet yeard anyone mentione the 800 as a voip hardware solution.

Eyabane

I am really not sure what you are asking. Are you trying to route ALL calls coming into your branch in Russia to go out your branch in Holland? In any event, whatever number is coming into your router in Russia via the PSTN can be translated using a translation pattern applied to your voice port to a number local to your Holland site and that number would match a VoIP dial-peer in Russia that points the call to your IP address of the router in Holland. The router in Holland would then have a POTS dial-peer that points it out your PSTN voice port interface in Holland. In this scenario you are potentially performing digit manipulation at both ends of the call. There is virtually no way to ensure call quality as it is going through the Internet and even though you have a VPN tunnel, you cannot guarantee the conistancy necessary to avoid delay, jitter, loss, etc... This may or may not be legal as well depending on country laws regulating toll bypass such as this. This is supported on Cisco 800 models. There is even methods of applying QoS over VPN tunnels should you want to deploy them:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/netsol/ns340/ns394/ns171/ns109/networking_solutions_white_paper09186a0080189080.shtml

eyabane
Level 1
Level 1

correction on my previous post. per this link, some models of the 800 series do support voice:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fvvfax_c/vvfport.htm#1054745

Sorry for the confusion.

Eyabane

Actually you were right the first time. Cisco 800 series routers do NOT support VoIP. Cisco 802 and 804 routers have POTS ports to allow use of the ISDN line for voice, but it cannot use the ISDN line or POTS ports for VoIP calls.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: