Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Reset or Restart

I have never been able to get clarafication on this question. I DO understand that a "Restart" of a phone re-registers the phone with CM and a "Reset" makes the phone get a new config from CM (Phone Load, etc). What I am not clear on is when I need to do a "Reset" as opposed to a "Restart". Normally, I use the "Restart" if I make any changes to CSS, Partition, Line Appearance, etc. This seems to work fine. If that is IS fine, would the only time I need to "Reset" be when I change the Device Pool (restart seems to work for this as well) or when I put in a new device load. I am sure this is an easy question to answer, I just have been unable to get exact clarafication.

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
1 REPLY

Re: Reset or Restart

To simplify things, A reset if you need to change device pools, partitions, css, ip address, tftp download info (phone loads or cnf ), change dn, I would do the reset which is the same as # # * # to reset the ip phone. If you just want to change secondary features , a restart works.

I use the thought, restart first, if the desired results are acheived your good, if not, then restart. Bottom line, while in a "installation mode" and setting up an enviroment, I usually reset the device pools to ensure everything is in sync.

Hope this helps clarify.

Todd

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.