Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore from backup

I've got a unity box on on Exchange 5.5 sp4 which has crashed. The OS w2as on C: and Exchange / Unity was on D: We were able to get a complete backup of the D: drive but nothing from C: <br><br>At this poing the machine is back up and runnung with exchange and operating normally. I can see all the Unity objects in the Exchange server and the entire Comserver directory has been fully restored. <br><br>I know that we need to do an install of Unity in order to get registry settings, services and such. What would be the best way to proceed from this point?<br><br>Thanks,<br>Paul<br><br>

3 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Restore from backup

Well… this can be tricky at best. Was there more than one Unity server installed into this Exchange site or was this the only one in town? Unity 2.4.5 and earlier had a mechanism for handling part of this scenario (though this isn’t what it was intended for). During installation it allowed you to select an existing location object instead of creating a new one (which is the default).

The location object is the centerpiece of the database for Unity. All objects (subscribers, call handlers, interview handlers etc…) floating in the Exchange directory are all stamped with a SYSTEM_ID value and are associated with the primary location object (created by setup) with an OBJECT_ID. During installation if you select to choose an existing primary location object in the Exchange directory (there should be only one) then essentially it “captures” all the objects in the Exchange directory that were associated with the old system.

You can try this with 2.4.6 by selecting “join existing location” during the first part of setup and browsing to the primary location object from the old system, but be aware this is NOT a supported operation. If it doesn’t work you’re looking at a reinstall sine there’s no easy way to manually massage an installed system to have a different primary location object and to change all Unity objects in the Exchange directory to “point” at a different location and to restamp them with a new SYSTEM_ID value.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Yeah, that system ID was my primary concern. I remerbered this one from a prevous experience which was - well, an experience.

Knowing this, when given the opportunity to install into an existing location I jumped at the chance not even knowing for sure what this would do. I was just sure that I didn't want to create a new location. Oddly enough I did not get prompted to browse to a primary object like you said, it just moved on and in the end the system_ID were never a problem for me.

I had other issues like missing holidays and schedules; misconfigured ports, and greetings not playing but thanks to searching this site I was able to find most the answers I needed.

IE:
Schedules and Holidays are stored in the registry and I had to run the "defaultschedules.dsc" script before the web page would not show en error.
All greetings are stored in the exchsrvr/res/ folder - (Note: I hadn't restored these)
As fo the ports - they no longer knew what extension they were so integration wasn't working. Once I entered their correct extensions everything worked fine.

Thanks for this site and all the great info, it really saved my rear.

Paul

Anonymous
N/A

... and always remember to backup the whole system to tape!

Yeah, the 2.4.6 install has some known issues selecting a primary location object with that install option... if there's only one it sounds like it hooked up automatically (it really shounldn't do that).

good to hear you got it up and running.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content