Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Restoring Unity using DIRT

I have a Unity server that when I restore trying to use DIRT I get the following error. "Failed to gain exclusive access to SQL to perform the restore. Close any application

and kill any service that may have a connection to SQL open. Press 'OK' to try again or

'Cancel' to exit the restor process." I have searched for what ever process this is but am unable to find. Any clues on what I'm doing wrong....

Thanks

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Restoring Unity using DIRT

lots of things can be holding on to the SQL database... you can try to run it down by opening a DOS box and typing: "OSQL -E" (case counts here) and hitting enter. Then type "sp_who" and hit enter again. Then type "go" and hit enter. This will spit out all processes that have any SQL connections open... look for any references to UnityDB in there.

The easiest way to deal with this is mentioned in the help file for DiRT - just stop the MSSQLSERVER and SQLSERVERAGENT services and then restart them (you can do this while that "can't gain exclusive access" dialog is up and waiting for a response). Then restart both services and hit "ok"... this should "shake off" any connections left lingering.

Jeff,

I tried running your command and it appears that there are no services running in the background. I also tried to stop and restart SQL servel times. I am still not having any luck. anything else I can look for?

Thanks

Cisco Employee

Which version of DiRT restore is this? It's SQL returning an error there of some sort, it's probably returning another error that's not related and it's just being caught by that error handler. If you have the log created by the restore app, send it along since the error returned by SQL should be in there.

I had the same problem when restoring from a mapped network drive. Upon copying the backup directory locally, the process ran fine.

Hope this helps,

Ted

Cisco Employee

The latest versions of DiRT backup and restore will allow you to browse to machines on the network directly to the share so you can use the full UNC instead of a mapped drive - SQL seems much happier with this than mapped drives I find - several sites have run OK using this method after they failed backing up to a mapped drive.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content