Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Restricting All users list

We have Unity 3.1.4 and W2K. There is an all users group in the email directory that a user sent an email message to by accident. Can I restrict that group to just the Unity accounts to prevent this from happening, or can I make the group not listed in the directory?

Thanks.

8 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Restricting All users list

Yes, you can hide any distribution list from the address book if you like - Unity has no problem dealing with hidden DLs or mail users...

that is fine..but we have run into a problem with microsoft and hidden distribution lists as well, so, I am willing to try that, but could I also just restrict what accounts can send to that list...and make it just the Unity and example subscribers..?

Cisco Employee

I don't know of any way to restrict who can send to what DL...

let me just clarify that...I am not talking about from within unity, I am talking about restricting from within exchange. I only want the unity accounts to access the DL. So how does this work. If I have access to the al users DL and I do a message, does the message come from ME or does it come from Unity account and make it look like it is from me?

If from within exchange I cna restrict who can mail that group, that would prevent my users from clicking on the DL in the exchange global address book and sending an unwanted message to all my unity subscribers...

-Mike

Cisco Employee

I understood you the first time... I don't believe there is a way within Exchange to restrict who can send messages to a specific distribution list. You can do this with shared folders and the like but I don't know of any way to do this with distribution lists. If it's in the users address book view they can send to it - you can hide it in the address book but as far as I know that's about it.

If you look up the distribution group in AD, then get properties, go to the Exchange General tab, and look at the section MESSAGE RESTRICTION. I want to use the ONLY FROM option and allow only the unity accounts access to it.

We curretnly use this for other distribution groups to prevent general users from emailing these groups.

My question is also doe ALL messages from the voicemail system generate from the Unity or example accounts, or does everyone need access to it?

-Mike

Cisco Employee

For a subscriber to subscriber message, the message is sent as the mail users of the sender - Unity is actually logging in as you and sending the message from your inbox. In the case of outside (unidentified) callers the message is sent from the Unity Messaging System account that's created on the companion Exchange server during setup.

But what happens to messages that are sent to such a DL that's been restricted like this? Presumably they bounce - I had though all that did was affect the address book view... if the user manually typed in the SMTP address for the DL and let it rip, would the message bounce back to them as an NDR? Untiy is still going to let user address to a DL over the phone even if you restrict it in this way (I relize you're concerned about desktop users here but thought I'd point it out anyway).

If a user sends a message to the SMTP address and it matches a SMTP message of a user that is restricted, the message will get bounced as an NDR. I haev already fought that problem 8-)....So only 2 people have access to send to the all users list right now...so only the Unity accounts and the 1 or 2 individuals that have this access need access to sending to that DL. If that is the case, then all should work. Correct?

-Mike

Views
Helpful
Replies