Cisco Support Community
Community Member

RightFax w/BrookTrout won't place outgoing FAX

I have a RightFax server w/Brooktrout T1 card we are going to integrate into a CCM system. The fax server is connected to a 2811 gateway (G2) via T1 ISDN. There is a another 2811 gateway (G1) w/PRI connected to the PSTN. Both gateways are setup as MGCP gateways in call manager. The fax server can receive fax from the PSTN no problem. However, outgoing fax from the fax server fails.

Q931 debug from G2 (directly connected to the fax server) gives "unassigned/unallocated number - call reject" error code. Calls from the G2 PRI outgoing to the PSTN seem to be failing.

My call routing in CM is in place, other MGCP gateways w/pot phones can call out to the PSTN. Seems like a configuration issue, 1st time I've setup FAX in the mode. I've followed the ISDN/MGCP Cisco fax relay config guide. Any help/ideas would be great.

outgoing call flow. Call Manger controlled

fax server/brooktrout T1--->---G2 Gateway (MGCP)--->---Voice VLAN--->---G2 Gateway (MGCP)--->---PRI to PSTN

Re: RightFax w/BrookTrout won't place outgoing FAX

Check the Calling Search Space on the Rightfax G2 gateway. Is it correct to allow PSTN calls?

Is the RightFAx server sending the correct digits? Perhaps you need a 9 or other access code?

Please rate helpful posts.

Community Member

Just noticed a typo. G2 gateway is connected to the RightFax. G1 gateway is connected to the PSTN.

G2 is in the correct CSS, LD-International. According to Captaris support, they are sending the correct digits. The error code indicated the fax server is waiting for more information from the CM. Then ISDN q931 shows the unassigned/unallocated number as the error code.

Is there a debug I can run on the gateway to see the digits dialed from the PRI connected the fax server?

debug isdn q931 will show the digits sent as well as error codes.

Are you set for Primary-NI as your switchtype? That is what is working with our RightFax PRIs.

Community Member

Yes, the PRI connected to RightFax is setup at Primary-NI. The Brooktrout card is configured as 5ess as the switchtype.

Here is a sample q931 output we get when we attempt the send.

*Sep 25 14:53:43.369 CST: ISDN Se0/0/0:23 Q931: RX <- SETUP pd = 8 callref = 0x0011

Bearer Capability i = 0x9090A2

Standard = CCITT

Transer Capability = 3.1kHz Audio

Transfer Mode = Circuit

Transfer Rate = 64 kbit/s

Channel ID i = 0xA98381

Exclusive, Channel 1

Called Party Number i = 0x80, '94280536'

Plan:Unknown, Type:Unknown

*Sep 25 14:53:43.373 CST: ISDN Se0/0/0:23 Q931: TX -> RELEASE_COMP pd = 8 callref = 0x8011

Cause i = 0x8081 - Unallocated/unassigned number

Community Member

Here are config snippits from GW2 of PRI/MGCP config.

Thanks again!!!

controller T1 0/0/0

framing esf

clock source internal

linecode b8zs

pri-group timeslots 1-24 service mgcp

interface Serial0/0/0:23

no ip address

no snmp trap link-status

isdn switch-type primary-ni

isdn protocol-emulate network

isdn incoming-voice voice

isdn bind-l3 ccm-manager

no cdp enable

voice-port 0/0/0:23

mgcp call-agent 2427 service-type mgcp version 0.1

mgcp dtmf-relay voip codec all mode out-of-band

mgcp rtp unreachable timeout 1000 action notify

mgcp package-capability rtp-package

no mgcp package-capability res-package

mgcp package-capability sst-package

no mgcp package-capability fxr-package

mgcp package-capability pre-package

no mgcp timer receive-rtcp

mgcp sdp simple

mgcp fax rate 14400

mgcp fax t38 inhibit

mgcp rtp payload-type g726r16 static

mgcp profile default

The unallocated unassigned number indicates no match for that number. Which takes you back to the CSS for the gateway. Can you set your phone to that CSS and place calls? In your CCM gateway config do you have inbound significant digits set to all?

Since the Brooktrout is set for 5ESS, you should be using Primary-5ESS in the router and gateway config. I doubt that will fix your problem, but it's worth a try. You might also try a hard reset by doing a shut, no shut on the controller t1.

If none of that works you need to turn on CCM tracing to see why the numbers aren't matching in a partition.

Please use the pulldown menu to rate helpful posts.

Community Member

Where you able to get this working. We are configuring the same scenerio with a MGCP 2821 PRI. However, inbound calls fail? Can post a copy of your final config so I can make sure we are not missing something.

Community Member

Working now... Found out the the Brooktrout card was only licensed for a frac T1 (ch 1-12 I think). The PRI was set to allocate B channels from the highest chan number and was not using a active B channel. Changed the setting in Call Manager and everthing worked great.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

CreatePlease to create content