cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ringtones on CP-7920

kenjohnson
Level 1
Level 1

We have a couple 7920's and when they first arrived there was a "download ringtones" option on their factory firmware - but it didn't work.

We upgraded to the next two versions (currently at cmterm_7920.3.3-01-03) and we still only have the options to choose between chirp 1 and chirp 2.

All other phones on our CM3.3(3) cluster can select ringtones fine.

Is this a known limitation of the 7920's? Do they need a special ringfile?

Thanks!

- Ken Johnson

LeTourneau University

----------------------------------

Attend the 2003 Cisco IP Telephony

Users Group Conference

http://www.ciptug.org

8 Replies 8

tracy
Level 1
Level 1

I have several 7920 but have not upgraded the Firmware yet. My firmware ver is 7920.3.0-01-00.

Under ringtones I have the option to "Download Ringtones" and if I select it I will see a list that I can download. If you don't see this have you tried to reset your phone? Also I remember back there was a BUG on the 40/60's where only Chirp 1 and 2 would show up.

Yeah - that sounds like what we had until we upgraded :-/ Though I never had the chance to test it since they upgraded so fast - I suppose i could downgrade.

The Download ring tones option is gone even after a reboot - and this happend to both of my 7920's... weird...

- ken

azam_anwar
Level 2
Level 2

Here are the details about the known bug. I know it's an older ver of cm, but it may help.

CSCdw93219 Bug Details

Ring list precieved as chirp 1 and 2 (partial file send)

When upgrading from Cisco Call Manager 3.1 (x) to Cisco Call Manager 3.2(1) in the 79xx phones, under settings->Ring types, the only remaining rings are

chirp1 and chirp2 even if in the TFTP path all the ring files exist.

Here is a workaround for this problem:

Go to callmanager admin web page, click on services and select cisco tftp. Select the TFTP server and click on "Advanced" button. You will see a service

parameter regarding caching of files. Set this parameter to false and now retry the same tftp command for ringlist.xml.

Thanks very much - that did seem promising - however I tried it and no luck. Perhaps I will try to downgrade back to the version that had the download option :-/

Anyone else on the newest firmware of the 7920 and able to successfully download new ring files?

Thanks for your help!

- ken

Here's a link for the 7920 Admin Guide, just in case you haven't seen it before. There's various bits of info about the ringtones options.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_ipphon/english/wip7920/7920adm/index.htm

Also make sure that the Load identification file - os7920.txt, is in the correct location.

Here's some info from the above link i provided. Hope it's of some help:

Step 1 Create the file named OS7920.txt. The format of the file content is shown in the following example.

Content P00603020031

P Phone

006 Cisco Wireless IP Phone 7920

0302 Cisco CallManager (CM) version

0031 Firmware version

Step 2 Copy the file OS7920.txt and firmware image into the TFTP home directory in Cisco CallManager. For example: \Cisco\TftpPath.

Any Cisco Wireless IP Phone 7920 that is registered to Cisco CallManager will perform a firmware update after being powered up if its current firmware version is different from the one specified in the load ID file.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note If the prefix of the version number specified in the load ID file does not begin with P006, the firmware update will be skipped.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caution Do not change any of the parameters of the firmware image file.

Thanks all for the feedback. Just for the curious I opened a TAC case and confirmed it is a documented issue... see below. Thanks!

- ken

Hi Ken,

Yes, this is a known issue, but it was done intentionally. Due to CSCeb61309. There was a problem with some of the ring tones meeting standards, so they had to be disabled until that issue is resolved. This should be resolved in upcoming 7920 firmware. You should have 2 ring tones to choose from now, Chirp1 and Chirp2.

I apologize if this inconveniences you.

Thanks

Just for further reference - here's the known bug I missed in the release notes... :-)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/prod_release_note09186a00801a908e.html#48908

(DDTS# CSCeb61309)

- Ken

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: