cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rolm to CallManager and Unity

rkeblusek
Level 1
Level 1

I am interested in finding out the best method for a prototype to a large Rolm environment for Unity and CallManager. I am interested in comments from anyone with experience on:

CallManager SMDI to RolmMAIL for setup of a pilot system that can share the ROLM voice mail with the ROLM PBX system.

Unity Dual Integration to Rolm 80 PBX system. There are 5 hub mail sites with ROLM networking between them and we are considering AMIS-A. The hub mail sites use Rolm networking over a hub and spoke network (PSTN) for MWI and other functions. Will Unity work in this environment (IP WAN to all sites) and not lose functionality the RolmMAIL provides today?

We are also considering replacement of all RolmMAIL systems with Unity and networking Unity over the IP WAN.

Lastly, this customer is primarily a token ring environment. Does Unity support a token ring adapter installed in the server?

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

kenjohnson
Level 1
Level 1

The best contact I know for ROLM issues is the president of the Cisco IP Telephony Users group, CIPTUG (www.ciptug.org).

You can reach him at FerrellMallory@ciptug.org - I know he's served on the national ROLM users group in some capacities in the past...

- Ken Johnson

mysterx
Level 1
Level 1

Unity doesn't have a supported integration to the ROLM 80 PBX. It might be possible to make an analog interface functional, but it would be an obstacle to TAC support for integration issues.

RolmMAIL is also not supported as an AMIS integration to Unity, although Siemens PhoneMail AMIS is supported. I don't know if there is a distinction between their products but TAC support for AMIS problems would be an issue since that configuration has not been QA tested.

As for a token ring adapter, it will probably work, but again since it has not been tested by Unity Quality Assurance there would be a roadblock to TAC support in the event of networking problems.

Unsupported doesn't mean impossible, but if access to TAC is a concern, you would probably be better off using (Ethernet) Networked Unity over the WAN, integrated to the Call Manager(s).

Scott Morgan

Cisco Systems TAC