cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Route Filter Weirdness

jneiberger
Level 2
Level 2

I'm just learning CallManager configuration and I was playing around with a server on loan to us from the local Cisco office. Specifically, I was messing around with route patterns and route filters.

I copied a route pattern that pointed toward a QSIG trunk connected to a PBX with outside access. I changed the pattern to 9.@ and saved it. This now allowed external calls from a particular IP phone.

Next, I created a route filter, AREA-CODE == 303, and applied it to that route pattern and it worked as expected. I could only dial numbers in the 303 area code.

I wanted to show my manager how easy route patterns and route filters were so I deleted my work and started over. However, this time it would not work. With the identical configuration in place, I'd get a fast busy signal as soon as I type 93. If I removed the route filter, I could dial any external number.

On a whim, I changed the route filter to be LOCAL-AREA-CODE == 303, and it began to work as expected. Any ideas why? Why would the first route filter work for a while and then stop working later?

I just don't understand why it worked, then it didn't, then it did. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

John

1 Reply 1

gogasca
Level 10
Level 10

Hi John,

AREA-CODE == 303

"With the identical configuration in place, I'd get a fast busy signal as soon as I type 93,

If it was set to AREA-CODE == 303, 9.@ will use for this example 9.1+[2-9]X[2-9] [029]XXXXXX, (Digit Analisys will also include other patterns like Transient-Network-Escape, etc. which use also AREA-CODE field) since 9.3 is not included here,is ok to block this pattern.

I could only dial numbers in the 303 area code, if you mean AREA-CODE the behaviour is ok. How did you dial the very first time?

9.1303XXX XXXX ? or 9303XXX XXXX ? If it was option 2, 303 here is not AREA-CODE, it is a LOCAL-AREA-CODE for 10 digit local dialing.

When you configured, LOCAL-AREA-CODE == 303, we are searching through 9.[2-9][029]XXXXso 9.3 is a possible match and call goes through.

For this type of problems you might check Dialing Forest Traces | CCM traces.

HTH

Gonzalo