cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Route Filter Weirdness

jneiberger
Level 2
Level 2

I'm just learning CallManager configuration and I was playing around with a server on loan to us from the local Cisco office. Specifically, I was messing around with route patterns and route filters.

I copied a route pattern that pointed toward a QSIG trunk connected to a PBX with outside access. I changed the pattern to 9.@ and saved it. This now allowed external calls from a particular IP phone.

Next, I created a route filter, AREA-CODE == 303, and applied it to that route pattern and it worked as expected. I could only dial numbers in the 303 area code.

I wanted to show my manager how easy route patterns and route filters were so I deleted my work and started over. However, this time it would not work. With the identical configuration in place, I'd get a fast busy signal as soon as I type 93. If I removed the route filter, I could dial any external number.

On a whim, I changed the route filter to be LOCAL-AREA-CODE == 303, and it began to work as expected. Any ideas why? Why would the first route filter work for a while and then stop working later?

I just don't understand why it worked, then it didn't, then it did. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

John

1 Reply 1

gogasca
Level 10
Level 10

Hi John,

AREA-CODE == 303

"With the identical configuration in place, I'd get a fast busy signal as soon as I type 93,

If it was set to AREA-CODE == 303, 9.@ will use for this example 9.1+[2-9]X[2-9] [029]XXXXXX, (Digit Analisys will also include other patterns like Transient-Network-Escape, etc. which use also AREA-CODE field) since 9.3 is not included here,is ok to block this pattern.

I could only dial numbers in the 303 area code, if you mean AREA-CODE the behaviour is ok. How did you dial the very first time?

9.1303XXX XXXX ? or 9303XXX XXXX ? If it was option 2, 303 here is not AREA-CODE, it is a LOCAL-AREA-CODE for 10 digit local dialing.

When you configured, LOCAL-AREA-CODE == 303, we are searching through 9.[2-9][029]XXXXso 9.3 is a possible match and call goes through.

For this type of problems you might check Dialing Forest Traces | CCM traces.

HTH

Gonzalo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: