cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Route pattern for Local and LD

Live2 Bicycle
Level 3
Level 3

New to route patterns, read a white paper over the weekend started implimenting on Monday.

Scenerio: My locations do 10 digit dialing. With in their area code of 864 some Nxx's are local and some are long

distance. I am trying to allow then to use the our standard 10 digit dial plan to reach both the Local and LD Nxx's

within the 864 area code.

I have started plugging in Route patterns in to CCM but I want to get other peoples opinions and suggestion on whether I am doing it correclty / effieciantly.

I have attached a txt document with the Nxx's and the route patterns I have used.

Any pointers are appreciated!

Thanks

2 Replies 2

jasyoung
Level 7
Level 7

You seem to be doing well with the wildcards. I haven't checked every pattern in detail or anything, but on the surface you seem to have patterns figured out.

If I understand what you're doing correctly, you are trying to allow your users to dial all area-code 864 calls as a ten-digit call, whether it's a local or LD call. I'm guessing that on the exchanges you know are long-distance, you want to prepend the '1' for long-distance for them when it goes out of your PSTN trunk(s) or perhaps reroute them over a lower-cost LD trunk.

On most deployments we just put in NPA and 1-NPA patterns and let the user figure it out with telco feedback. They usually have a gut feel for what's local, and if the call is dialed wrong, generally the telco will reject the call with a descriptive message and the user can figure out what to do. This might not work if you're using a different LD provider, since they might not reject a "local" call dialed as LD. It's up to you if you want (or need) to get this fancy with splitting up your patterns. You may create a win with the users and with toll charges, but you also invite some maintenance headache on yourself when your area telcos add new exchanges.

You should make sure to do as much configuration as you can down in the route-list/group configuration level and leave the route pattern options at defaults, so that if you need to make a change to digit stripping, prepending or external number mask type options, it can be done in a central location rather than having to modify hundreds of patterns. This is considered best practice, and it improves user experience since digit-stripping at the route list/group level does not change the after-dial phone display or CDR records (basically, the access code stays on, which is a little more intuitive for the users and it can be easier to parse CDRs).

One simple optimization is to go ahead and put in all of your local patterns, but forget about all the extra long-distance patterns. Just have a single 9.864[2-9]XXXXXX catch-all pattern, and create a special route-list for it. Add your route-group that you would normally use to that route-list, and in its config, do strip pre-dot and prepend '1' or whatever's appropriate for your situation. In this way you should not have to maintain LD office codes, just local office codes.

You are correct, I am trying to allow the users to dial all Local and LD numbers using 10 digit dialing. This is the companys standard and since I am new and they have over 70 locations setup like this I must leave it that way.

Thank you for your feedback.

Del

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: