cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RSVP on IP Phones

plbaker
Level 1
Level 1

Do Cisco IP Phones support RSVP and is it a good idea to use this as an alternative to using CM to perform location-based CAC over the WAN (providing there aren`t too many phones located remotely - I realize this isn`t a very scalable solution)?

Problem is that using locations for CAC is subject to a number of limitations - all remote phones to use same CM for call setup and hub & spoke only topology.

2 Replies 2

mimckee
Level 1
Level 1

To my knowledge CAC with call manager would be better than using RSVP. I believe that if you have rsvp setup in your network that if you send a setup accross the wan and not enough bandwidth was available then the call could be routed out a PSTN. I would suggest going with CAC as of 3.0(10) and later I think it is working well for people.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,

dgoodwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Just to add to this, using 3.0(10) and later you are still limited to a hub and spoke technology but the remote phones do not all have to use the same CallManager. Location bandwidth information is now shared between CMs in the cluster.

RSVP in the phones and other devices is a good long term plan and it is still being discussed. It would definitely give more flexibility in the network architecture (e.g. not just hub and spoke) but I think it is still a little ways off.