Views
Helpful
Replies

rtp header compression question

goku-sun
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have two Cisco 1750 routers at 2 remote sites running VOIP that qos & rtp compression commands are used but one of the routers seems to "hang" occasionally each time(not every time) it accepts an incoming telnet session, since then I cannot ping the router and it will sometimes reboot itself and sometimes remains "hang" until cold rebooted locally.

A partial output of "show version" shows:

Router uptime is 16 minutes

System returned to ROM by error - a SegV exception, PC 0x8083A98C at 14:29:55 CST Tue

Feb 5 2002

System restarted at 09:46:06 CST Wed Feb 20 2002

System image file is "flash:c1700-sv3y-mz.121-3.T"

------

My question is Have you VOIP experts encountered this before? Is this a hardware issue? I am particularly puzzled with the meaning of "SegV exception, PC 0x8083A98C" error, which seems to have appeared after I issued rtp compression commands on the router (but no such symptom for the other router)

Any ideas why?

Many thanks in advance,

Goku

8 Replies 8

mimckee
Level 1
Level 1

I have not seen an issue like this before. If you are getting a segv and it is crashing the router I suggest opening a TAC case to troubleshoot the crash. Did you notice if when you put on the rtp header compression is the command tcp header compression also being added? I have seen this before and you can try removing the tcp header compression.

Hope this helps,

-Mckee

dgoodwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As far as I know, you can't remove tcp header-compression without rtp header-compression also being removed.

You should definitely call TAC about this problem so they can look at the stack trace and determine if this is a known issue. You are definitely not running ideal code.

Thanks gentlemen,

Asthe encapsulation used is frame-relay, I am free to add/remove "frame ip rtp header" or "frame ip tcp header" on the sub i/f of serial port.

However I do wonder according to common practice if the "rtp/tcp header" commands should be issued also on the serial port, apart from the sub-i/f concerned.

TIA,

Goku

Hi!

I've deployed a solution very simliar to yours.

Two 1750 running VOIP and Crypto tunnels.

I configured MLPPP with CRTP, LFI and it works excelent. I've just checked, and both are running without problems for 6 weeks.

The IOS installed is c1700-k8sv3y-mz.122-5.bin

From my expiriance implementing many gateways on various platforms is whenever gateway reboots itself it could be an issue of insufficiant memory.

Please check that...

pborelli
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not sure about what happens in your case. But I'd ask you why you run such an old release. Why don't you download something like 12.2(1) or better?

Also, I have found several bugs regarding RTP header compreesion on the Cisco platform. So, going to a newer release could help you in this issue too.

Gentleman, I told you that I've do this, and it WORKS PERFECCT.

If you see my previous email, you will find the IOS that I'am using, so I recommend to change the version and try again.

Hi salata,

I've changed the ios image to a newer version(though not as new as yours) and is observing if it will malfunction again..

Thanks,

Goku