Views
Helpful
Replies

Runtime Error 'Servers.GetServerByName(...)' is null or not an object

bradwelch
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm receiving error messages when trying to add subscribers. This system has been operating flawlessly for a week and just started this behavior yesterday.

First error message:

Error: illegal configuration: Server list cannot be empty in Active Directory configuration. See Unity Troubleshooting Guide.

Second error message:

A Runtime Error has occurred. Do you wish to Debug?

Line: 2049

Error: 'Servers.GetDerverByName(...)' is null or not an object

The Add Subscriber page appears but the server field drop down list is empty. Exchange 5.5 is off box in this installation and the domain is still NT4.0. The Exchange Administrator functions fine and I can ping the Exchange server and primary domain controller by name. There is no AD at this site.

Unity 3.1(4)

TSP 6.02

CM 3.13(a)

Windows 2000 sp2

Does anybody know how to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Brad

6 Replies 6

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sounds like this bug:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCdx72642&Submit=Search

The release notes advise to just reboot or bounce the IIS services but talking with the CPR folks that doesn't always do the trick. For a handful of sites that have seen this in 3.x they ended up reapplying the resource manager DLL and the problem was fixed. They have not been able to nail down what causes this, however. In 4.x the method for enumerating the servers available to home users on is different so this isn't an issue...

quick question - was this an upgraded system or was this newly installed at 3.1(4)? If it was an upgrade, what version did you come from?

To replace the resource dll do this:

Copy the MsgStoreRes.dll from the \Commserver\Localize\Resources\ENU\MessageStores\ directory to the \Commserver\Localize\Resources\ENU directory

so in your case it would be the \commserver\localize\resrouces\enu\MessageStores\Exchange55\MsgStoreRes.dll that you would want to copy into the \commserver\Localize\Resources\ENU directory.

This should clear the problem.

oh, and I forgot to mention one other thing you need to remember with the DLL trick above.... if you change your system to point at an Exchange 2000 box in the future, ou need to remember to delete the MsgStoreRes.dll file you copied into the \commserver\localize\resources\enu directory...

Hi

I have a problem that looks the same ,except using exchange 2000 and active directory and Unity 3.1.4 ,all on the same box ,OK not exactly the same but the same error message and problem with the add users .Tryed the resolution without success .I get the impression the active directory scemia ties into the Unity and maybe thats where the problem lies but thats only a guess

Jonathan

You would see something similiar (i.e. empty drop down lists for sub adds) if your GC reference in the registry was bogus. If you've moved or taken down a GC, Unity could still be pointing at it... here's a post on how to check it:

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.ee8b8e6/4#selected_message

Hi

Have just replaced Unity 3.1.4. with 3.1.5 before I saw your reply.3.1.5 works fine ,so I am not sure if the registry was to blame .

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Where did you find 3.1.5?

Thanks,

Erik

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: