cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

same extension for multiple lines

2gsweeney
Level 1
Level 1

How do you get the same extension on multiple lines of the same phone? Partitions?

5 Replies 5

dgoodwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes. Example:

Partitions:

Line 1

Line 2

Calling Search Spaces:

Internal (contains Line 1 partition)

Line 2 (contains Line 2 partition)

Configure a phone with first line as extension 1234 in partition Line 1. Call Forward Busy should be 1234 with a CFB Calling Search Space of Line 2. Second line configured as 1234 in partition Line 2.

In this situation, would you have to create route patterns for each individual line because they are in different calling search spaces? If you didn't you would only be able to dial out on line 1. Lines 2 - 6 could only be used as roll extensions. This seems a little inefficient for a large implementation.

What happens if I pick up my phone on line 2 and dial another phone, will the called party’s phone ring on line 2 or line 1?

Are there any problems with transferring to or out of voicemail?

thomas.richter
Level 1
Level 1

I have created extension, extension line 2, and extension line 3 partitions for the multiple appearances of the same telephone number. You would then have these thre partitions added to the existing users calling search space. This will enable the user to dial and receive calls from all appearances without separate routing. This setup is detailed in the Cisco CallManager Fundamentals by Alexander, Pearce, Smith and Whetten page #206.

What is the benefit of having multiple lines with the same extension?

It sounds like a holdover from the way users interfaced with digital pbxs.

rhill
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I am using 7960's in a call center environment and have several phones using a "shared line".

I assign the line to each phone which are all using the same CSS and Partition and all the phones ring when that DN is dialed... works great for this environment.