We had this up and running a few months back but all of a sudden our users are getting xml parse errors when doing lookups. We have 4 CUCM clusters so we have used the SDK localizeddirectory to sync with AD so we can offer 1 truly global directory. Instead of referencing the telephoneNumber field within AD we've added the new global directory numbers into the IP Phone field.
The only thing that has changed in the past few months is an upgrade from Server 2000 to Server 2007. Thought this may have caused the problem but we've rehomed onto an older 2000 server and we still get the same issue.
SIP traces provide key information in troubleshooting SIP Trunks, SIP
endpoints and other SIP related issues. Even though these traces are in
clear text, these texts can be gibberish unless you understand fully
what they mean. This document attempts to br...
Please find the attached HTML document, download and open it on your PC.
This provides an easy to use form where you simply answer a few
questions and it will render the proper jabber-config.xml file for you
to copy/paste. There is built in logic to verif...
CUCM Database Replication is an area in which Cisco customers and
partners have asked for more in-depth training in being able to properly
assess a replication problem and potentially resolve an issue without
involving TAC. This document discusses the bas...