cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Security concern with Meet-me

rneil
Level 1
Level 1

We have set up a couple of meet-me conference bridges which our customers can call into directly. One of our engineers raised the possibility that if someone surruptitiously remains on the conference after all the other participants have hung up, they could then invite their buddies to call in on our 800 number, join the conference and have a nice little chat on us.

My question is: is there a way to be sure that the meet-me conference is terminated at the end of the call, by the person who set it up, for example?

Or, is there a way, other than trying to set up a new conference on the same DN, to check if there is an active meet-me conference going on?

Thanks,

robert

6 Replies 6

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

When you initiate a Meet-Me conference by pressing Meet-Me on the phone, Cisco CallManager considers you the conference controller. The conference controller provides the directory number for the conference to all attendees, who can then dial that directory number to join the conference. If other participants in a Meet-Me conference press Meet-Me and the same directory number for the conference bridge, the Cisco CallManager ignores the signals.

A conference continues even if you, the conference controller, hang up.

As per my knowledge ,there is no way to terminte the call when the controller hangs up.The other question ,I am not very sure about that.

You can use the following links to get some informaton:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_user_guide_chapter09186a0080080113.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00800c4cb5.html#xtocid8

Wait.. Does this mean there is NO way to terminate a meet-me line if unless all participants hange up? !!!!

This makes meet-me lines so insecure I would be VERY afraid to use them...

gillins
Level 1
Level 1

I think that the best way is to educate your employees on how to check and make sure that the conference is over when it should be. you can also make the the meetme numbers non did numbers and have the 800 service ring to an opeator or a ivr system to do a security check.

hope this helps

scott

How do you check to see if its over? Have everyone hang up and then try to initiate another meetme on that line?

If you are using Hardware conferenceing, such as a 6608 blade, you can see what resources are in use and by what IP Address.

In CCMAdmin go to Services> Media Resource> Conference Bridge> then click on a conference bridge. Click on the IP Address of the Conference Bridge.

This will open up a information web page on the conference bridge that is similar to the the web page in a 7960 IP Phone.

Click on Conference/Transcoding, then click on STREAM USER LIST (End Point Info) If there are any conferences in use, this will show details of the conferences in use. If you have multiple Conference Bridges, you may have to look through them all to see the conferences in use.

If you have a software conference bridge, then use perfmon to view the resources.

tm

Tim Medley, CCNP+Voice, CCDP, CWNA

Sr. Network Architect

VoIP Group

iReadyWorld

...This is all very fascinating...but how do I end an active conference? I can tell that the conference is active simply by dialing the number!