cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Send Text Message To Phone

ischarcm
Level 1
Level 1

Is there an easy way to send a text message to a phone (7960 or 7940) or a group of phones ... such as for an important meeting reminder or company wide message... We have CM3.2. Will the message go away when a handset is lifted or is there a way to clear it?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

trailman73
Level 4
Level 4

Berbee makes a product called Informacast. You can do text, or audio messages. It works very well and sets up easy. Try them at:

www.berbee.com

Geoff

View solution in original post

aaronw.ca
Level 5
Level 5

To my knowledge, so far there is no application that ships with the CallManager to provide this functionality. The closest solution to this would be using the idle url as described below.

You can write your own application to push text to a phone. This text can be cleared by the user by pressing the exit softkey, or else you can set the refresh header to have it automatically time out and return to the idle url or some other application, etc. This is cleared automatically when the user picks up the handset. It is not cleared automatically when a call comes in, so caller id is blocked while the application is running (the same applies to the idle url below). Check out the "IP Phone Services for Developers" forum for more information on this, as there are a few threads covering this.

Alternatively, you could set up your phones using an "idle url" (an idle url is simply a Cisco XML service that runs automatically when the phone is idle). Then set that web pages refresh heading to refresh every so often, and the "content" of the idle url should be current enough to use to send general messages etc. Each dept could have their own idle url, or even each specific user, though this adds a bit of administration overhead as you have to assign idle urls to each user I believe (unless you decide to use one idle url for all users, in which case you assign the idle url globally). Still, it might be an option.

Or you could use a premade application such as Berbee's. There are a number of options available, it just depends on which option suits your needs.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

trailman73
Level 4
Level 4

Berbee makes a product called Informacast. You can do text, or audio messages. It works very well and sets up easy. Try them at:

www.berbee.com

Geoff

aaronw.ca
Level 5
Level 5

To my knowledge, so far there is no application that ships with the CallManager to provide this functionality. The closest solution to this would be using the idle url as described below.

You can write your own application to push text to a phone. This text can be cleared by the user by pressing the exit softkey, or else you can set the refresh header to have it automatically time out and return to the idle url or some other application, etc. This is cleared automatically when the user picks up the handset. It is not cleared automatically when a call comes in, so caller id is blocked while the application is running (the same applies to the idle url below). Check out the "IP Phone Services for Developers" forum for more information on this, as there are a few threads covering this.

Alternatively, you could set up your phones using an "idle url" (an idle url is simply a Cisco XML service that runs automatically when the phone is idle). Then set that web pages refresh heading to refresh every so often, and the "content" of the idle url should be current enough to use to send general messages etc. Each dept could have their own idle url, or even each specific user, though this adds a bit of administration overhead as you have to assign idle urls to each user I believe (unless you decide to use one idle url for all users, in which case you assign the idle url globally). Still, it might be an option.

Or you could use a premade application such as Berbee's. There are a number of options available, it just depends on which option suits your needs.

Thanks for the info... someone else also recommended Berbee Informacast.. I've asked them if they offer any demo.. I appreciate it.

I have demo'ed informacast and intend the buy the full blown product for it works well for my retail client.

tringwelski_2
Level 1
Level 1

Watch for IP Phone Messenger 1.1, send and receive msn messenger chat with ip phones.

is this going to be a Cisco release or a third party?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: