cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Separate FR PVCs for VoIP and data

lucy.west
Level 1
Level 1

i am about to do the following, and wondered whether anyone else has experience of doing this?

we have a head-office router that has a PVC currently carrying data + VoIP to a remote-site. The VoIP traffic is going to/from separate LANs than the data, and uses a specific UDP port.

We've ordered a second PVC between the same 2 sites so that we can separate the traffic over the 2 PVC's. I intend to just do policy routing at each end so that all traffic from the VoIP LAN goes down the dedicated PVC.

I was also going to set the burst size to be 0 on the VoIP PVC.

(due to IOS limitations - I can't do FRF-12, or frame-relay RTP prioritisation)

1. Is there anything else I should be doing or be aware of?

2. Do I have to apply traffic-shaping to set the burst on the VoIP PVC to be 0?

3. Can I allow the data PVC to burst as normal?

Thanks in advance - all help greatly appreciated

3 Replies 3

adahan
Level 1
Level 1

You didnt mentioned which platforms and ios you are running, but you can use traffic-shaping and vofr cisco on your frame-relay , i have some networks working just fine with it.

if you'll want config example i can send it to you.

Avi.

Platforms and IOS's are:

head office - 3640, c.3640.ip.ipx.at.dec.121-5.XM.bin

remote-site: 2610, c2600-ip.121-6.bin

Unfortunately - this set-up doesn't count as VoFR, as we have a 3rd party-supplied VoIP cisco router which is attached to the LAN that our router is on, at each site. Thus the voice traffic is presented to our routers as IP traffic using UDP ports 16383 and 16384.

We are also unable to do traffic-shaping for those particular PVC's, as there are 12 other PVC's out of the head-office router all going out from the same physical interface. If we enabled traffic-shaping on the physical interface, we would have to create map-classes for each of the other PVC's. (otherwise everything gets defaulted to be shaped at 128K i think). We should really do the shaping, but it is not yet on the cards.

I would still be interested to see configs that you may have for this (in case we do VoFR in future)?

Still it is not so complicated to create those map-classes, i did it on similar network and it works just fine.

if you'll need example i can send it to you by email.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: