Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

server name change, ip address change, SQL errors, unity 3.1.5

Hi,

I have a test environment to try out server name changes and IP address changes on unity 3.1.5. Exchange is off box, 5.5, in NT4 domain. I'm trying 2 simultaneously, with varying degrees of failure!

server 1:

unity 3.1.5 installed with Ex5.5 off box. Functioning normally. I changed the server name (which Unity seemed to accept ok, with restarts) I then changed the IP address, and now Unity wont start. I get the following events logged:

AvCsMgr: Stopping component Ruler

Manager service (AvCsMgr) failed to initialize the component manager.

AvCsMgr: Component Arbiter initialize failed.

Unable to log onto the Doh.

Doh logon failed due to directory component logon error: 80048807H

Last Category Failed to initialize an AvRdbSvr instance: 80048807

Last Category Failed connecting to underlying database using: provider=SQLOLEDB;driver={SQL Server};Data Source=UK_UXB_UM01;Initial Catalog=UnityDb;uid=Administrator;pwd=<?}: 80004005

The server name shown as the database source in the logs above (UK_UXB_UM01) is the old server name, which was also what was returned form SQL query @@servername. I've gone in and changed MSDE as per the forums/microsoft fix (sp_dropserver, sp_addserver etc ) and @@server gives the correct servername.

Is there still some references to the old server name in SQL preventing the restart? I'm confused as the name change didnt affect it initially, only after the ip address was changed.....

AFter a reboot unity comes up as stopped straight away, and stays in "unity starting " mode indefinitely when you manually click "start unity"

Server 2 :

I renamed the server before running Unity setup - everything was going ok, then when setup finished message was uniy faled to start because of one or more services. I changed servername's in SQL again, although I've run into a problem with sp_addserver. the old server name has been dropped - @@servername returns "null" but when I try the command "sp_addserver" ti says server already exists.

Event viewer is as follows:

Manager service (AvCsMgr) failed to initialize the component manager.

AvCsMgr: Component Arbiter initialize failed.

Unable to log onto the Doh.

Doh logon failed due to outside caller object access error: The parameter is incorrect.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Mick

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: server name change, ip address change, SQL errors, unity 3.1

Yeah, just changing the name of a Unity server out from under it is not supported and I can almost promise you you'll never get it to fly right.

Obviously if Exchange is on the box you're SOL right out of the chute... with SQL it's just a matter of executing:

EXEC sp_dropserver 'OldName'

EXEC sp_addserver 'NewName', 'local'

and you're good to go, however within Unity's database there are many references to server names in tables (i.e. the location objects refer to the Unity server name directly and this is used for associating subscribers with servers and the like). Why do I know this? I spent many, many hours wading through all these types of references (and domain references and hard coded directory path references etc...etc...) for the DiRT restore. All these have to be touched as part of the restore process since it allows you to move to different servers, domains, Exchange configurations, install drives etc... I still twitch remembering the process.

Short story - if you want to change server names on the Unity box you'll want to treat it as a migration and use DiRT. If you want to test it out you may be able to do it "standing" - I added a command line option in there "/dirtyrestore" that removes the check to ensure the local installation is new and clean. This should let you do a DiRT backup (don't bother with messages of course), change the server name and run DiRT restore with the /dirtyrestore command line option - this should make all the changes in the SQL database, local registry files and all that good stuff for you.

Make sure to grab the latest and greatest off the CiscoUnityTools.com site first... give it a roll and let me know how it works.

Re: server name change, ip address change, SQL errors, unity 3.1

Hi,

thanks for advice - didnt get a chance to try in the end - moving goalposts meant a clean install and no time to play.

Thanks again - don't you ever SLEEP??

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content