cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Services disappearing in Unity

ejrobali
Level 1
Level 1

I am running Unity 3.1(5) and on 2/21 we had to reboot the server because of a planned outage. Today I ran a CDR subscriber message activity report for 2/1-2/26, I recieve no data after the 2/21 reboot. I confirmed that there were indeed messages after that date. I noticed that the AVcovMsg_mc service disappeared in the services after the reboot and this may be affecting the CDR reporting. Is there some way that I can get the AVcovMsg_mc service to reappear again? Thanks for the help.

9 Replies 9

oliviers
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That's not a Unity service. It's what we would call a "messaging file". Those files are used to write event messages to the event log. Judging from the name that's there, it sounds like this one belongs to the Unity Conversation component.

Did you see some error message or something that led you to believe that something is missing?

The even log is full of error messages for that particular service dating from 2/21, an example of which is the following:

IAvMiuCallr::GatherDigits returned [0x80040102] on line 126 of file e:\views\cs_UE3.1.4.39\un_Conv3\AvConvAmis\AvConvAmisInbound\AvSAIStartFrame.cpp

Running conversation ConvAmisInbound on Port 1

When I look in the services window this service no longer appears but I do remember it being there before. I'm assuming that rebooting the server might trigger something to bring it back but I would like to an alternative to this as this is in production currently. Thanks for the help.

There is no service with that name in it... not sure what you saw in the SCM but that wasn't it.

TAC is saying that this AVcovMsg_mc service does exist and should be in the services window to restart or stop. They came to this conclusion from analyzing the errors in the application log. They suggested that I reboot and the only other way to "restart" the service is to initialize dcom but this would create a security hole and TAC is not recommending this approach. They recommended a reboot to see if that works first, but there won't be one scheduled for a couple of weeks so I am looking for alternatives. Thanks.

You'll have to trust me on this, AVcovMsg_mc is not a service. It's the messaging file that helps to report event log error messages. You don't have to be a Windows service to write to the event log.

That event log message that you are seeing probably shouldn't even be in there. That's going to come up when the Unity Conversation component asks for the digits that a caller has dialed, but the caller has hung up. That 80040102 is what is returned in that condition.

Is this system really doing AMIS? What type of switch integration is this?

I'll jump in for Eddie for a bit.

The Unity server is talking to CallManager 3.2.

Is there a reason you guys can think of why we don't have any data in our reports since the reboot?

Thanks!

Is the AvRepDirSvcSvr running? Is it running as a Domain Account or LocalSystem? At some times, running as a Domain Account might cause problems. LocalSystem should be fine.

AvRepDirSvcSvr is running under the domain account. I will change it to local system, will this change affect anything else?

LocalSystem should be fine. I think there's going to be problems running that service as a Domain account, especially if that Domain account does not have a Unity subscriber associated with it. This may very well be why the reports are working as expected. Let us know how things go.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: