Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
You may experience some slow load times, errors, and slight inconsistencies. We ask for your patience as we finalize the launch. Thank you.

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Services timeout value on IP phones??

I have written many applications for my IP phones. Occassionally when I'm moving from one page to another using my phone softkeys the phone will just display "Requesting..." in the lower left. After exactly 2 minutes the screen that it is trying to go to will display. Then the phone will work fine for awhile again. The time is always exactly 2 minutes. Has anyone ever seen this? Is there a way to tune this timeout value? Does anyone know what the phone is waiting for?

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
4 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Services timeout value on IP phones??

This sounds more like a network or web server issue (my guess is network) than an IP Phone issue. Perhaps a DNS lookup/timeout issue?

Try running the same service from your web browser (which will just display xml, copy the links from the xml and follow them along). See if you get the same effect.

What version of CallManager/phone firmware are you currently on?

I am running version 3.2 of the Call Manager. This is just set up in a test environment where everything is on the same LAN. The web server doesn't even have to do DNS queries for this. Most of the displays on the phone are just canned data put into XML phone objects. So all that should be do is to go load the next page. Most of the time I get the 2 minute timeout (and it's EXACTLY 2 minutes every time) is when I press the Exit softkey. Which should just take me back to the previous screen.

I thought I remembered reading something about this timeout being tuneable...

...and I can put all of the URLs in the browser on my PC and they all seem to come up very quickly. And since this lab is all self contained, I can't imagine that it's a network issue.

Silver

Yes, the call stack is tunable. If you put an "expires = -1" header on a page, that page is not added to the stack, so the Exit softkey will skip over that page when returning to a previous page.

Are the URLs you use in your XML pages using IP addresses instead of host addresses? In that case, the DNS server would be bypassed. The fact that it's a 2 minute delay sure seems to indicate a timeout of some sort.

Is moving forward through the XML screens working okay, or do you occasionally get a timeout there? Might there be one url that uses hostname somewhere? Can you narrow it down to a subset of screens that are slow loading or returning via Exit?

Do the computer that did the test browsing and the IP Phone both have the same DNS server settings?

Views
Helpful
Replies