cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Set up for SMTP for paging

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have Unity set up to be a standalone voicemail system, I am not integrating into our curent Exchange set-up. However I would like to be able to use the message notification to e-mail me on urgent messages. How do I set up Exchange to simply allow outbound SMTP to our SMTP server?<br><br>------------------------------<br>Michael Perbix<br>Lower Merion School District<br>Network Hardware Technician

4 Replies 4

Not applicable

You'll need to setup the Exchange IMC (Internet Mail Connecotr... what the rest of the world calls an SMTP gateway). You can configure this to hard deliver all outbound messages to a hard coded IP address (i.e. your SMTP server).

When Unity kicks out an email for notification we simply hand it off to Exchange and tell it to deliver it... the MTA takes care of getting it to the right spot and if you don't have the IMC configured, it'll just throw the message back at us indicating it has no mechansim to deliver it.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Thank you, done deal, and it works. How about for Dialing out. I set up a phone number (including teh 9 to get out) but I never get the call. Is there something else I need to configure Unity for outgoing calls via the CallManager?

------------------------------
Michael Perbix
Lower Merion School District
Network Hardware Technician

Not applicable

There shouldn't be anyhting else in Unity that you need to set up, but there could be something in CallManager or the gateway that you need to set up.

If you place a phone in the same calling search space as Unity, can you dial the exact same string that Unity's notification is trying to dial and complete the call? Also, what type of POTS connectivity are you using to the CO? PRI? Analog?

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Not applicable

You are correct, the Calling Search Space can not dial out (get a fast busy) so that is indeed the problem. The gateway Partition is not in the search space..I will work on that part later..

Thank you.

------------------------------
Michael Perbix
Lower Merion School District
Network Hardware Technician

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: