Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Setting up basic VoIP hardware

I am currently looking to setup a home lab to provide basic VoIP capabilities.

I am pretty new to VoIP and I am just seeking some advice from the experts.

Basically I want to provide VoIP to a few friends that are in rural areas via my pots line allowing them to call the metro area for a local call fee instead of STD rates.

I was thinking along the lines of a 2851 router with adsl2+ WIC and an EVM-HD card, as I need a new router anyway for my home lab. Will this work? Also how do I terminate the EVM-HD to the RJ-11 phone socket?

Also what is a good accounting software for VoIP which will integrate so I can provide a automated billing service for the calls they make.

Cheers.

9 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: Setting up basic VoIP hardware

Brett,

You'll need an FXO card which will have 2 x RJ11 interfaces - these will connect direct into your phone socket.

The best thing I could suggest would be a 1760-V router where you can put the VIC-2FXO modules direct into it. When you add phones you'll need to VIC-2FXS modules.

Phones plug into FXS modules

Lines plug into FXO modules

Hope that makes life a little clearly? Probably not!

Community Member

There are a couple of options for IP PBX functionality:

1. Cisco Call Manager - Enterprise class IP PBX that can support a couple thousands phones distributed over various sites.

2. Cisco Call Manager Express - Smaller IP PBX that runs on a cisco ios router. Suitable for SMB customers replacing key telephone systems.

3. Asterisk - open source linux based IP PBX suitable for small home deployments. Runs on PC hardware ranging from old Pentiums to new servers. Not as scalable. See Asterisk@home for a linux distribution that installs with Asterisk somewhat preconfigured with Voicemail. You'll still need some hardware to connect to the POTS network. I suggest a cisco router such as the 1760-V with a FXO and FXS card.

When buying a router for voice be sure it has DSP resources installed along with a proper IOS feature set. The 1760-V (V for voice bundle) includes a DSP module and an Voice IOS feature set.

Jeremy

Community Member

Are you looking at wanting IP phones in this network - or just a simple VoIP lab?

If it's the latter - using analogue phones - the I wouldn't bother with CM or CME. Just use the inherent H.323 features within the routers. Obviously you'll need to have the correct IOS.

Community Member

Cheers for your quick responses guys.

I was going along the lines of just a VoIP lab but I will get some IP phones as well as an analog phone so I can test will all scenarios.

I would like to go with the 2851 router though if I could, but I have read that it does not support the 2 port RJ-11 FXO card. I have been quoted the 2851-V/K9 (2851 Voice Bundle;PVDM2-48;SP Serv;64F/256D). But they quoted the EVM-HD-8FXS/DID 8 port FXS-DID card. I’ve been reading on the Cisco site and I think I need the base HM-HDA-4FXS ( 4 Port FXS) and the expansion EM-HDA-4FXO (4 port FXO). Is this correct?

Also can I just use a RJ-21 to RJ-11 patch panel? To convert the RJ-21 so I can plug in phones and lines?

Does anyone know if the voice bundle comes with CME or CM ? And will I need it ?

Community Member

The voice bundle does not come with Call manager. CM requires a server to run such as the MCS7835. The 2851 can support CME but I am not sure what is involved in enabling CME on the router.

Community Member

OK Cool. This is what I have so far.

2851 Router Voice Bundle, PVDM2-48, FL-CCME-96, SP Serv, 64F/256D. (Router with voice bundle, CME, SP Serv?, PVDM-48 - Voice DSP?, and 64MB Flash and 256 RAM.

I also have NM-HDA-4FXS ( 4 port FXS) and EM-HDA-4FXO ( 4 port FXO).

This should get me started right ?

Will the 2851 handle all the VoIP duties and routing duties ok ?

Community Member

Yes it should do fine. The 2851 should be able to do both. From memory I think it is ratd to handle 200+ phones using CME.

Bronze

Just for your info.

I tried to install VIC-2FXS in the 2811 (IOS 12.4), it did not recongize the FXS. I have to use 2nd generation of VIC2-2FXS.

I am not sure that will apply to VIC-2FXO or any 1st generation voice analog card.

Ken

Community Member

Cheers Ken I read on the cisco site that the 28xx didnt support the older VIC's I didnt know they have a 2nd generation VIC2. I will porbably just stick with the High Density newer cards NM-HDA etc.

Thanks all for your help on this one, I think Im ready to jump in and have a go at this VoIP stuff.

Regards,

Brett

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content